Jack O'Neill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking this afternoon, while swimming laps at my local state park beach, it will soon be time to switch from my drysuit to my O'Neill wetsuit.

Jack O'Neill, Santa Cruz surf wetsuit pioneer, dies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trace,
Thanks for posting -- great story of a great man and the end of an era.
Jack O' Neil did not invent the wet suit ! It was serendipitously discovered by Bascom and Bradner, two California divers
(a story for another post).

I have never seen or heard of an O' Neil wet suit made for especially SCUBA or even free diving.
Is it possible O'Neil wet suits have a market share in the east and are not in marketed in the west ?

Surfer wet suits are generally cut loose around the shoulder and chest which allows freedom to scratch for waves.

Enjoy your summer and dive advenures

Sam Miller

Sam, could you please post the wetsuit story in another forum?

I wear an O'Neill Reactor 3/2 when freediving and for scuba once water reaches 60 F. The StrongLifts 5x5 program by Medhi Hadim which is a twist on Bill Starr's original football workout makes the O'Neill a great fitting suit. Here is a pic where I'm wearing it while teaching cave diving. Water temp is 71 F at Ginnie, but I've had the Reactor at 115 feet in 45 F water and it was tolerable. I wear it surfing too. Love O'Neill products.

d57c9300406dc364571328c1a1a0f717?AccessKeyId=F0AB7FB2F1E81642782E&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.jpg

I have a couple of the Dive Wetsuits and use to have his neoprene drysuit. Still have the bag for the drysuit. Here's some logos from the wetsuit. I sure he'll be missed.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 109
I
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trace,
Thanks for posting -- great story of a great man and the end of an era.
Jack O' Neil did not invent the wet suit ! It was serendipitously discovered by Bascom and Bradner, two California divers
(a story for another post).

I have never seen or heard of an O' Neil wet suit made for especially SCUBA or even free diving.
Is it possible O'Neil wet suits have a market share in the east and are not in marketed in the west ?

Surfer wet suits are generally cut loose around the shoulder and chest which allows freedom to scratch for waves.

Enjoy your summer and dive advenures

Sam Miller

The sector and jtype wetsuits are geared towards diving.

Trace,

I always arise early some time before sun rise, Take a hand full of Vitamins make a cup of De Vita ( a western chocolate -coffee drink) set for a moment to watch the sun rise over the canyon and the Pacific ocean.

I then go to my office/den turn on the computer and read SCUBA Board.

Good gosh ! what a frightening experience today !
'
An eastern version ersatz Jack O'Neil complete with eye patch!
(what is the world coming to?)

Scares me and I am not scared of nothing !

I have three options
1) Grab my trusty 44 Mag and blast the computer (but that would wake my red headed wife )
2) Grab a paint brush and paint the computer screen
3) Or just hope the eastern Jack O'Neil does not proliferate and spread to the west.

After considerable consideration I suppose option #3 is appropriate...and I can continue on the SB

All is well in the west....

Your SSI Pro5000 friend

SAM

An icon that will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom