Jacket and Pant Separates for Wetsuit? Will it keep me warm??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KennyZ33

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So...here's the deal...I'm a guy that's a size bigger on my upper body than lower body...im roughly an XL on top but a Large on the bottom. Mares makes a 7mm Instinct camo jacket (shirt with hood) wetsuit and 7mm pants bottom wetsuit that match. I'm considering getting it not for insanely cold water but something that will keep me comfortable when the water gets a little colder. They make the same thing in a 5mm version, I believe and that one may be thick enough for what I'm doing. It's made for spearfishing but I'll probably just be doing regular scuba diving in it. Since the top and bottom are separate, will it keep me warm and keep the water out if it fits properly? DO the top and bottom connect or zip together? Alternatively, I would have to go with a one piece XL wetsuit and they wind up being a bit loose in the thigh and butt.

Separates work, but not as well. It'll absolutely flush. Have you looked at any "in-between" sizes like XLS (Extra Large Short?) That is basically the chest of an XL with the length of a L.

I like separates for warm water diving. For water cold enough that you are looking at a 7mm, my first instinct would not be for separates. But when I look at some description and reviews of this, it appears to be very high-waisted pants, a beavertail on the jacket, and bare rubber rather than fabric on the inside which would reduce flushing (while making it harder to put on...) It's like an updated version of a farmer john style, which also addressed the sizing problem in it's way. So it might work out ok, and I'd guess be warmer than a poorly fitting full suit.

I also see terms used like comfort and elasticity and soft neoprene, which might hint at material which will compress more at depth and maybe loose thickness over time sooner than some, losing some insulation value. But really hard to say.

If the fit is a problem and you can't find off the rack that works, looking into custom is a good idea too.

A 7 mm two-piece "freedive" wetsuit should be extremely warm. The integrated hood, elimination of all zippers and the smooth rubber interior all combine to drastic reduce (if not eliminate) water pumping into and out of the wetsuit.

We offer freedive type suits in 3, 5 and 7 mm thickness and we have many scuba customers who love our suits. The smooth rubber interior also eliminates a nylon/lycra layer on the inside which enhances flexibility and comfort.

With regard to fit, it is more important to match the weigh guidelines than the height, especially if you are short for your weight.

Take a look at our Yamamoto neoprene suits if you are shopping.

Wetsuits | MAKO Spearguns

… But when I look at some description and reviews of this, it appears to be very high-waisted pants, a beavertail on the jacket, and bare rubber rather than fabric on the inside which would reduce flushing (while making it harder to put on...) …

Quite the opposite, no lining and spraying with a highly dilute liquid soap or hair conditioner mix makes it amazingly slippery/easy to don. The other advantage is it doesn’t matter if the inside isn't completely dry. They are also definitely much warmer than lined suits, especially the "split cell" material.

Why I chose Yamamoto Neoprene to make my MAKO Freediving wetsuits

I have been using custom suits with a very similar cut of Mako's Farmer pants with no-zip and beaver-tail jackets for decades.

I dive a freediving / spearfishing wetsuit as well in cold water. It is a much warmer combination than a semi-dry, except possibly it might compress more at depth.

Your idea is a good one I think, personally I just dive it for the warmth and flexibility compared to regular wetsuits, but a lot of people do go for the two piece because of body sizes.

Now be careful though: a freediving wetsuit requires soapy water to get into (obviously take nice warm water before your dive), it also has no zippers. So the first time you put one on (and especially take it off afterwards) is quite an adventure. Be careful with finger- and toenails because you might rip holes in the suit even with soapy water.

That's also the difficulty of ordering one online: if you don't know your size, be extra careful to check if the retailer allows you to return the suit. It's often not the case for freediving / spearfishing suits. In a shop you can try them on inside-out to get the size.

Putting a freedive suit on and taking it off are really pretty easy if you use proper suit lubrication and follow the correct techniques.

Also if you use the two person method to remove the suit jacket, it is a less stress on the suit and the the seams. These videos show what to do and also describe what NOT to do.

As an FYI, we do not recommend the use of soap as a lubricant (due to the potential for skin irritation for some people) and we also guarantee, customer satisfaction with any wetsuit they purchase.. assuming they follow our sizing guidelines - of course.

VIDEO - How To Put On An Open Cell Wetsuit

Last edited:
Mako doesn't have my size. I have a similar suit from freedivestore.com (well, two of them, 7mm and 3mm) and have been happy.

They are warm.

It takes a certain amount of upper body flexibility to get the suit on and off.

The suit lube is one more thing to do but not a big deal in the greater scheme of things.

I have a triathlon wetsuit that keeps me buoyant, flexible & gives comfort . It also keeps the body warmer when under water. so i would suggest to buy the wetsuits that keeps the body warmer in cold water too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom