Jacket BCD vs. Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh Dear Lord. I know this thread is nearly a year old, but WTF? Harry were you bored or feeling friskie? :)|

I became a "christmas tree" diver with stuff hanging off me everywhere, and found the all-round inflation together with all the other stuff made me feel more like Michelin man than anything approaching a streamlined diver.

So where does all the stuff you hung off your jacket BC now hang on your BP/W?

Dang,
I was looking for recommendations, not to stir up the debate.

As to should I dive or not, Well I have never had a 911 call or blacked out due to diabetes yet. About the only difference is the availibity of food. Since I will be on my own boat, I carry a supply. I normaly do not leave dock without a regular coke in the cooler.

The axiom i3 may be a bit out of my price target. At leat on manufacturers site.

Anybody else care to recommend some gear? Maybe I should call the dive shop down in florida and see what brands they carry (I am not in florida yet but that is where 95% of my diving will occur

Highflier

FWIW the local dive shop is Tildens's dive center

I am not going to say one is better than the other, because I've only been diving since August. But I will say one thing. Right after I was certified, I bought a Mares jacket bc and loved it. I put approximately 35 dives on it. At that time, I hadn't even heard of a BP/W. Well, the owner of my local LDS let me borrow his. Fast forward to today, I am now a proud owner of a BP/W.

Take everything that everyone says about trying every type out before buying so you don't end up like me. 3 1/2 months after being certified, I've already purchased 2 BC's. If I had tried a backplate to begin with, I would have saved a ton of money.

If you try a backplate and don't like it, buy a jacket style. Don't let anyone say you shouldn't buy a jacket, if you like it and it fits go for it. When diving my jacket, I never dove with anyone that looked down upon me because of it. I dive with all sorts of people with different gear, back inflate, jacket, and backplate. I dive for the love of diving, not for the love of my gear.

Just my $.02

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

And you would know due to your extensive experience?

Good diving, Craig

I never said I know anything. If you mean is my opinion based on my extensive experience as an amateur then yes, it is.

I'm not sure of the purpose in trying to invalidate my 10 month old opinion.

Last edited:
20 dives each in a jacket BCD and a BP&W are likely to give more insight into the relative pros and cons than 1000 dives only in a jacket BCD.

Just saying...

I am not going to say one is better than the other, because I've only been diving since August. But I will say one thing. Right after I was certified, I bought a Mares jacket bc and loved it. I put approximately 35 dives on it. At that time, I hadn't even heard of a BP/W. Well, the owner of my local LDS let me borrow his. Fast forward to today, I am now a proud owner of a BP/W.

Take everything that everyone says about trying every type out before buying so you don't end up like me. 3 1/2 months after being certified, I've already purchased 2 BC's. If I had tried a backplate to begin with, I would have saved a ton of money.

If you try a backplate and don't like it, buy a jacket style. Don't let anyone say you shouldn't buy a jacket, if you like it and it fits go for it. When diving my jacket, I never dove with anyone that looked down upon me because of it. I dive with all sorts of people with different gear, back inflate, jacket, and backplate. I dive for the love of diving, not for the love of my gear.

Just my $.02

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

What BP/W did you go with?
Highflier

Try a Jacket, try a Back inflate style, and try a BP/W. Then make a decision.

Most people here want to compare jacket with a BP/W. They want to ignore the Back Inflate. Why? Maybe cause a Back Inflate dives very much like a BP/W, only more comfortable?

I just looked at LP searching for the Mythical $300 BP/W. Most start out a $450 and go to $850 complete. Heck try and find a good wing for under $200. Then you need the harness, the BP, the CAM Bands, a weight belt and maybe a STA....

Don't get me wrong I think BP/W's are a good choice for many applications, but not all. There is the rub, why is it an either or decision, it can be both and for me depends on the type of diving one is doing.

OK until the next great BC debate which will be shortly! This debate has been ongoing (for me) since 2004 and it never gets resolved, but the faces change!

Try a Jacket, try a Back inflate style, and try a BP/W. Then make a decision.

Agreed. It's always going to be a personal decision. At best, I would hope that the avocation of BP&W on this forum only served to heighten awareness of a divers' options. More options gives more chance of a satisfactory outcome to the purchaser.

Most people here want to compare jacket with a BP/W. They want to ignore the Back Inflate. Why? Maybe cause a Back Inflate dives very much like a BP/W, only more comfortable?

This is the sort of disinformation that I like to see redressed on the forum. Since when were BP&W uncomfortable?

I dive daily in BP&W... wearing a rash guard. If it was uncomfortable, then I'm sure sometime in the last 3000 dives I might have considered changing...

I just looked at LP searching for the Mythical $300 BP/W. Most start out a $450 and go to $850 complete. Heck try and find a good wing for under $200. Then you need the harness, the BP, the CAM Bands, a weight belt and maybe a STA....

Hog 32 Wing $209 (Dive Gear Express)
Dive Rite Ali BP & Hog Harness $127 (LeisurePro)

Hey...that's not far off your mythical figure...and it only took 2 minutes on Google :)

Of course.. you could get the BP from Ebay and you could make your own harness (not rocket science)....

Don't get me wrong I think BP/W's are a good choice for many applications, but not all. There is the rub, why is it an either or decision, it can be both and for me depends on the type of diving one is doing.

Everyone's entitled to opinions, but I've just not found a situation where I wouldn't want a BP&W - that includes teaching. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom