jacket style or back inflating opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have the opportunity to borrow one from your dive shop's rental gear stash to try it out? I tried one once and it was immediately clear that I (female, average weight, strong swimmer) hated that style with a passion. Probably depends on a lot of things such as your body shape and personal preferences.

thines900

What can you say about the kinds of diving you see in your future. We all know you're new and this will be largely a guess.

In general any sort of BC will work well for the needs of 98% of all divers. Beyond technical adequacy is fit and comfort. Understanding those aspects is all about trying gear in the water. I firmly believe that the BC style or model does not make the diver but fit is critical.

Pete

i live in south georgia so im only a couple hours away from most springs in florida, and i really like diving springs i ve done a little open water in the ocean but i really like springs the best, and i really have no intentions of trying to get cave certified, but i plan to get advanced diver.

The two most important things about a BC are that it fit, and that you be comfortable in it. It has to hold the tank stable on your back, and it's good if it makes it easy to move some weight around to help you balance (aka trim pockets).

Where I think a back inflate has some advantages is in leaving the front of your body less cluttered. They tend to be lighter overall, which is a bit better for travel.

Where I think both types tend to fail divers is in not stabilizing the tank well enough. Single camband setups make it awfully easy for the tank to come loose, and BCs with no rigid component allow the tank to slop around on the diver's back. For anyone, that is not comfortable, although advanced divers learn to compensate for it -- but for new divers, it's a major confounding factor in trying to achieve stability.

You don't say your gender but if you are a woman, you might try out a BC made for women. I have a Seaquest Diva model (2006-ish). The current version of this seems to be named the Pearl. Seaquest -- both male & female models -- does tend to have a fair amount of padding (so in theory, you might need to wear more weights, though the weights you carry will likely reduce much as you get more experience). The reason I mention the female-cut BCs, they have a bit less front inflation so that if BC-squeeze is a reason you are considering back-inflation, you might find this a good compromise. The one I have has back trim-pockets, which are just perfect for holding a 1-lb beanbag each side. I use the beanbags all the time, regardless of other weighting, and they really help. Good luck trying out different BCs. One other thing, it seems to me that scuba gear comes in really "generous" sizes. If the first size you try seems good, consider trying out one size smaller for comparison -- might be better.

2 thumbs up for back inflate. Me and my girlfriend both have a back inflate.

- Great for travel
- Streamline
- More Comfortable
- More horizontal position / better trim

The only downside is they tend to push you forward at the surface when inflated. Correct distribution of weight (trim pockets) and a good kick to get on your back and it becomes a non issue.

The only downside is they tend to push you forward at the surface when inflated.

This is said over and over again -- I dive a backplate in warm and cold water, with a variety of tanks, and I like my wing filled on the surface until the OPV pops. And I have NEVER felt pushed face down into the water!

This is said over and over again -- I dive a backplate in warm and cold water, with a variety of tanks, and I like my wing filled on the surface until the OPV pops. And I have NEVER felt pushed face down into the water!

Then you experience is different from the vast majority of folks who post on SB about their experiences using a BI style of BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom