jacket style or back inflating opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I think both types tend to fail divers is in not stabilizing the tank well enough. Single camband setups make it awfully easy for the tank to come loose, and BCs with no rigid component allow the tank to slop around on the diver's back. For anyone, that is not comfortable, although advanced divers learn to compensate for it -- but for new divers, it's a major confounding factor in trying to achieve stability.

I don't think the Scubapro single camband is unstable nor does it pose a risk of the tank bcoming loose. I only have about 500 dives on Scubapro BCs and have never had a loose tank. On the other hand, I have seen many other divers with dropped tanks with BCs of other design.

Thanks, Craig

This is said over and over again -- I dive a backplate in warm and cold water, with a variety of tanks, and I like my wing filled on the surface until the OPV pops. And I have NEVER felt pushed face down into the water!

+ 1 on that.

Just picked up a used Seaquest Balance yesterday at a bargain, and tried it for the first time. I had it configured a little differently, because I was wearing a 7 mm wetsuit, steel 108 tank, and weight belt rather than weight pockets. (I will try that next.)

So far, I found that it feels stable, and holds the tank really snugly in place. Compared to a jacket BC, the horizontal trim and streamlining are beautiful--I have heavy legs, so they sink in a jacket BC. In terms of venting air, it seemed to "trap" a little more, but arching a little gets the bubbles to the shoulder or hip dump. On the surface, when it was inflated enough to comfortably raise my head out of the water, it pushed me just slightly forward, and when it was fully inflated, it definitely pushed me face down. Sitting back on it solved this, but I could see this as a disadvantage for an unconscious or exhausted diver, or someone who is a nervous in the water. Have to see how this changes with an AL 80 and different weight configurations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom