Jack's Diving Locker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wrote an extensive review of two dive trips with Jack's Diving Locker on TripAdvisor. And I wish I could cut and past here. Doesn't want to work on an iPad so I'll do a short report.

Jack's is located in downtown Kona with a satalite shop at the Honokohau harbor to support basic scuba courses. The main shop has an awsome 12 foot deep salt water pool with a 3 foot deep entry and a lower viewing window. The shop is very established and has everything you could possibly need. Including rentals, gear repair, an air fill station, class rooms and best of all, a full Poseidon CCR program. You can even rent a POSeidon VI for $200.00 if you don't want to lug your rig with you.

I went out on two boat trips. The first trip was a two dive afternoon run with a night dive to watch Manta Rays. It was pretty awsome even though a bit crowded. There were about six other boats there full of divers and snorkelers.

The next trip was their standard two dive trip up the coast. We lucked out because the north and south currents at the point where the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority (NELHA) is located were basically equal in strength so that the Pipe Dreams dive site was accessible. I was told later in the shop that the site is seldom calm enough to dive. Got to see some more Manta Rays off in the distance on that dive. The second dive was a lava reef with a cavern and a blow hole called Freeze Face.

The service on the boat was top notch for Hawaii and darn near full service. The crew sets up you gear, unless you say not to, and they immediately swap tanks between dives. Their main boat is pretty much open deck, has two hot water hose showers at the swim step in back, to huge trash can fresh water camera tanks, a camera table forward, a real marine head (aka toilet with sink), upper and bow sun decks, and the best dive ladders I have ever seen on a charter boat.

I highly recommend Jack's if you plan to dive the big island of Hawaii on the Kona side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom