Jackson Blue Vis Report?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last weekend's rain dropped it down to the 60s. It's opening up, though. As long as we don't get that much rain in that short of time again it will be fine. Other than about 3 years ago when it was completely blown out for a couple of days, JB usually doesn't get worse than 60' about or so.

I meant the basin. Yes I realize I have totally disclosed my ignorance by this post. Everyone has to start somewhere right?

Everyone has to start somewhere right?

1. The basin at JB is pretty small.... Probably not worth the entry fee for an open water dive.
2. Levels at Morrison are debatable Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Tallahassee: Choctawhatchee River at Caryville
3. Vortex looked like a chocolate milkshake two weeks ago, probably not much better now.
4. Cypress would cost about the same as JB (to rent a canoe) and is probably your best bet for a decent open water dive in that area.

1. The basin at JB is pretty small.... Probably not worth the entry fee for an open water dive.
2. Levels at Morrison are debatable Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Tallahassee: Choctawhatchee River at Caryville
3. Vortex looked like a chocolate milkshake two weeks ago, probably not much better now.
4. Cypress would cost about the same as JB (to rent a canoe) and is probably your best bet for a decent open water dive in that area.

+1 on all of the above. Vortex is not worth it right now for OW. When Morrison is clear, you'll enjoy the basin. Additionally, it is the most accessible. Cypress is absolutely gorgeous and arguably the best 'experience' (canoeing + diving) but it is the most remote site.

Carl

I meant the basin. Yes I realize I have totally disclosed my ignorance by this post. Everyone has to start somewhere right?

Currently, with the Mill Pond having been drained down about a month ago, the basin is about knee deep, maybe a little deeper in some areas. Even when the pond level is up the basin averages about 5' deep. The opening of the cavern is at about 12-13' when full. There is also so much hydrilla and eel grass in the basin that it's not even worth snorkeling in. If the draw down does anything to kill off the growth, the basin is a great snorkel spot, but it is not appropriate for open water diving.

Hi guys (and gals),
anyone have a report on Morrisons? LAst tme I was viz was so bad as not to suit up. I was thinking of Vortex just to get wet but it seems that would be a waste of time.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom