Jailed for buying Sudafed her Instructor told her to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question? What did she do to cause the cop to pull her over in the first place? A good lawyer will get this thrown out no matter how guilty of cooking Meth she is. He did not have probable cause. Buying Sudafed is not against the law. How did he know they had all bought multiple times? More to this story for sure.

Question? What did she do to cause the cop to pull her over in the first place? A good lawyer will get this thrown out no matter how guilty of cooking Meth she is. He did not have probable cause. Buying Sudafed is not against the law. How did he know they had all bought multiple times? More to this story for sure.
There was a sting in action...
They traveled to Demopolis, where police were conducting a sting operation. Pharmacists there informed police when anyone from Mississippi bought medicine containing pseudoephedrine.

But that conflicts with this part...
She said the officer asked if she knew it was against the law to cross the state line and buy Sudafed. It is against the law in Mississippi to bring back pseudoephedrine products from another state, but Alabama law permits those from other states to buy the medicine as long as they sign. (Then why is Alabama prosecuting her?)

At least with fireworks here in Colorado, you have to have an out of state ID and vehicle registration to buy them and agree that you are traveling through and aren't shooting them off in CO (HAHA!). BUT they are legal to buy in our neighbor Wyoming. They often have 'sting operations' around holidays for people bringing fireworks back into the state, but I believe they are always waiting on the CO side of the state line.

Call me jaded, but everything reported about Mississppi seems to be come out of a twilight zone episode. I try not to ever reason it out.

...she wouldn't have said her son was an addict BEFORE the cop found a pipe.

Except that the cop had already found the methadone, so an addiction was obvious.

I am surprised that the son was allowed to carry a legitimate dose of methadone. Around here, people are prescribed methadone and consume the dose each day in the methadone clinic/pharmacy in front of the staff. They are not allowed to leave with it unless they can show a plane ticket/confirmed itinerary and the doctor prescribes and allows them to take the daily bottles with them for travel.

Methadone is also addictive and they get high off it as well, which is why it's use is sustained and it's a huge money-making *legal* drug business. It was designed to be used for two weeks to aid in withdrawing from drug use.

I didn't know Sudafed was controlled in Canada, but I only buy a box every couple of years for those just in case days that I might be a little congested before diving. I try to avoid using Sudafed when I dive with Nitrox on deeper dives, as the risk for oxtox may increase according to DAN articles.

Yeah, the grandma's story sounds fishy, yeah, meth is a blight on the universe, but I have a whole lot of trouble with: "Intent to ..." laws. Intent is a question of interpretation, perspective, and degree.

My first thought is why would a divemaster ever recommend they dive on decongestants...
Many Instructors do, as said in the story - not a DM.

The question of why was she stopped is a simple one. The pharmacy made a complaint and thus law enforcement is obligated to investigate. Its sort of like if I called in a DUI and gave them your tag number they would be obligated to pull over the driver if they catch up with them. People often overlook that not every situation reqiures an offense to occur in front of an officer to justify intervention.

One instance would be if a neighbor called and said their neighbors were fighting and he witnessed the husband beat his wife to a pulp they can come out and request to speak to the wife. Should the husband block the door and not allow the officers to speak with the wife to determine her well being they can without a warrant or permission from the husband make entry into the home to check the wifes well being.

The bad thing about law enforcement is so many jail house lawyers put bad information out there and get people into some serious trouble.

Now as to why it raised a red flag is if they ALL bought sudafed then it would be a question of why someone needed that much sudafed and it would raise a flag. Is it illegal? In the state of Alabama no it is not so long as they do not exceed their legal limit of purchase. But it would still be a flag.

Now do I agree with medication laws as an opinion? No I do not. I think its pathetic that any state would make honest law biding citizens suffer because people want to kill themselves.

Back
Top Bottom