Jailed for buying Sudafed her Instructor told her to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, pseudoephedrine is a big problem. Just ask a CVS pharmacist. CVS got fined 75 million by the feds in 2010.. CVS to pay $75 million fine in meth case - MarketWatch
And thanks to this case, Pse products may only be purchased at the RX counter (not the front check-outs). You'd think no big deal (and it shouldn't be), but some people (paying with a check) cause a scene over it. We even had a pharmacist almost get fired because he personally rang up Pse on a register at the front of the store. It's on camera and everything. CVS doesn't mess around with this anymore.

Living in a Border Town to Mississippi, where possession w/o a prescription is illegal (Mississippi), we work closely with the Narcotics officers there. Meth makers hire people and pay them up to $50.00 a box to go to Louisiana and buy psuedofed. Meth labs in our area is a terrible problem and having the "specific" precursors in a vehicle is usually found on a stop made after a purchase. Many times we have to have a haz-mat team take possession of a vehicle, motel room and such for clean up. It is terribly dangerous, especially if the vehicle is a rolling meth lab, meaning they are making meth in a bottle while moving around the highways. If you were involved in a crash with a rolling lab, and you walk up to check the occupants, you may breath fumes that will ruin your lungs and shorten your life................it is that dangerous.

I hate the new limited purchase law because I can't use the new psuedo product and when I need it I can use it as directed and cannot purchase another box until a certain amount of time expires. From Fall til summer it is a battle for me, but this meth epidemic is so terribly dangerous.

It amazes me that anyone still takes checks...

I can use it as directed and cannot purchase another box until a certain amount of time expires.
Spd, the federal regs allow us buy a box up to 3.6 grams one day, then another the next day - but I had hell finding that info. Several druggists I asked didn't understand. Maybe you misunderstood the wait time and should try again sooner?

In Texas, we are limited to one box a day even if it's just 24x30 mg pills = 720 grams, altho my old local store that kept written logs allowed me to buy more many times since neither of us knew. Since that store was closed by a more serious sting, I'm a little nervous about those mistakes. I'm sure I never went over the gram monthly limit tho.

Last edited:
It amazes me that anyone still takes checks...

Spd, the federal regs allow us buy a box up to 3.6 grams one day, then another the next day - but I had hell finding that info. Several druggists I asked didn't understand. Maybe you misunderstood the wait time and should try again sooner?

In Texas, we are limited to one box a day even if it's just 24-30 mg pills = 720 grams, altho my old local store that kept written logs allowed me to buy more many times since neither of us knew. Since that store was closed by a more serious sting, I'm a little nervous about those mistakes. I'm sure I never went over the gram monthly limit tho.
The fed regulation basically follows proper maximum dosage per the box. So as long as you weren't regularly taking more than recommended I wouldn't worry.

The fed regulation basically follows proper maximum dosage per the box. So as long as you weren't regularly taking more than recommended I wouldn't worry.
Yes, the maximum suggested is 4x60 mg/day = 7.2 grams/month, well under the limits...
IF it's not too much trouble to go to the store 3 times a month;
IF the store stocks the pills in larger quantity boxes so that it's only 3 times a month;
IF all of the individuals needing the help can go separately; and
IF your state doesn't get carried away and enact stricter laws.

Just do what the stars/wealthy do. Go to your doctor get a prescription for Oxycodone and become a prescription drug abuser. It must be ok! After all it was prescribed by a doctor.

How in the world is this a scuba related court case? Just because the woman said she was getting some drugs for a dive trip? This story has nothing to do with a court case related to scuba activities PERIOD. Crossing state lines to buy a drug you can't get where you live and attempting to return with it is just asking for trouble. Then you tell people to get extra and you claim you don't know drug crap is under the seat? Please ........go to jail granny.....you are not fooling us.

nevermind

Last edited:
I stopped by the Plainview CVS to shop their prices and availability for Actifed or similar, but the pharmacy lines were horrible. Skipped.

Got by the Lubbock Walgreens for Wal-act today. Today's pharmacist seemed more knowledgeable about the limits and regs, or maybe sometimes the others don't explain it all because of the hassle to state regs repeatedly when they don't make sense. She said that Lubbock had a daily limit lower than the state's or fed's - under 3mg. Seems like the desire to regulate more than federal limits is increasingly popular in many places - for hay fever meds...!

I guess it'll just keep getting worse, discouraging the manufacturers from wanting to provide at competitive prices or the stores from carrying choices.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom