Jailed for buying Sudafed her Instructor told her to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laws reducing local production haven't really stopped meth. THey have pushed it from the home manufacture to the organized crime world however.

There's a reason Mexico imports more sudafed per person than any other nation. And there's a reason meth is coming over the boarders every day.

The problem I have with this story is the problem I have with all of our drug laws.

Even presuming the woman and her son are addicts, they were definitely at the level of individual use. To me, the individual users are victims of drug abuse, and if they're addicted (and if they used meth, they are -- its' amazingly fast at addicting people) then they are suffering from a clinical disease.

The problem is that if allowing this substance into the general population is so bad (and listening to the public health people speak, it is) then by all means make it a prescription only substance, or better yet, outlaw it's import and manufacture. But we aren't doing that. We're still allowing over the counter sales, and we have ludicrous state-by-state laws on a pharmaceutical product. That's asinine!!

At the federal level make it a prescription-only medicine, as a schedule 1 controlled substance, just like methamphetamine itself is, or better yet disallow it's manufacture by any corporation registered in the USA. Work with the rest of the world's governments to get the production stopped. Levy economic sanctions against Mexico until their import numbers of pseudophedrine approach levels consistent with normal individual use of the product for it's intended purposes.

Stop hounding victims on the premise that somehow that will stop the people who are really profiting from meth -- which are the drug companies and the gangs.

...or better yet disallow it's manufacture by any corporation registered in the USA.
Hey! :mad: You're talking about the best hay fever med available. That stuff they put in Sudafed boxes now is a joke. It's already difficult to find in many places. Of the three chain drugstores in Plainview, one was out and didn't know when, one had to special order out of Lubbock, and one had a limited choice.

DandyDon - Pfizer has a product that has been ready to go to the FDC for years -- a mirror image molecule that can not be turned into crystal meth but which has the same bio-chemical efficacy as pseudophedrine. They haven't pursued it because the don't need to -- they're making plenty of money off of the mexican cartels buying up every ounce of pseudophedrine they can manufacture.

Don, is it a principled argument not to just go and get a prescription and be permitted to have the supply you need? Having lived in some pretty remote spots, I can sympathize with your situation, but it seems like you could alleviate yourself of the problem with a doctor's visit, no?

Don, is it a principled argument not to just go and get a prescription and be permitted to have the supply you need? Having lived in some pretty remote spots, I can sympathize with your situation, but it seems like you could alleviate yourself of the problem with a doctor's visit, no?
Next on my list, altho I never got a clear word from pharmacists as to whether that would help or not. For now, I'm fine. I got organized in my legal purchasing and stockpiling to the point that when I found that there is also a maximum allowed on hand, I counted and stopped just short. :cool:

I kinda miss the old days when I could get a 100 ct bottle, then replace it easily as needed, but I guess the drug makers do more so.

Last edited:
DandyDon - Pfizer has a product that has been ready to go to the FDC for years -- a mirror image molecule that can not be turned into crystal meth but which has the same bio-chemical efficacy as pseudophedrine. They haven't pursued it because the don't need to -- they're making plenty of money off of the mexican cartels buying up every ounce of pseudophedrine they can manufacture.

What is the FDC??? And Pfizer doesnt make sudafed anymore...they sold it to J and J 6 years ago so if they have something on the bench, but are sitting on it due to mexican cartel sales, someone in their marketing department needs to be canned............because J and J makes the sudafed money now!!!!!

If the Feds/States keep it up, they'll be pushing the creation of new types of illegal drug manufacturing. Folks will be purchasing meth to mfg. decongestants. :wink:

It's always a good idea to take the crack paraphenalia out from under the seat of the car before crossing state lines to buy drugs!

It's interesting that, as a society, we consider grandmothers to be innocent by definition. I can understand where this comes from, but as a grandfather I have to say that a grandparent isn't really that old.

Excellent point. She was 45 at the time, not exactly the Mrs. Claus image that most of us probably form when we hear "grandmother."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom