Jamaica - is it worth it to haul dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tessie03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi
We are taking my son, wife & 2 kids to Jamaica (they want to go there) for Christmas. Please tell me there is some diving there....I know it's not a dive location but hoping we can see some creatures.

Anyone have any recommendations away from the resort divers?

Thanks
Terri

Where in Jamaica? Negril (far west end) is where Jamaica's best diving is.

We will be there for 2 weeks so can go anywhere. What can we expect to see at Negril? And dive site names if you have would be appreciated too. And can you recommend a dive shop? We are both very experienced divers so can do anything. We also want someone experienced with non-divers as would like to have an intro dive for my son and his daughters.

my experience was less than stellar as the weather was just horrific for my stay.... hang tight, there will be some input from another SB'er who can fill you in best...

@ibj40

nothing to see in montego bay, even though it is a marine park...

I haven't gone there in a really really long time, but having dived around Runaway Bay and Nigril with AI resorts where diving is included, the best dives I remember were the feed the fishes dives, and only large tropical fish I saw usually are the ones in fish traps. The only time I saw big tropical fish (such as large angelfish) was when I took a sunfish sailboat out, and saw them stringed up next to a unmanned rowboat where a freediver would surface once in a while to put another tropical fish he speared onto that line.

The best part of the boat ride while going out to dive was that given our resort was right next to Hedonism II, we would always sail out in very close proximity to their beach, but then, most of the time, it is just guys standing around strutting their stuff.

Wife & I went to Negril several years ago. I took all my gear & did 2 days (2 tanks/morning) of diving. That was enough; very clear water, little reef, no fish to speak of. What they considered a wreck dive was just part of an old Cessna in 40 ft. of water. I wouldn't advise taking all your gear, maybe just use some rental if you really want to dive.

The short answer would be "Don't bother". I dove the Ocho Rios area...dead.

I'd dive the first one - not sure about the 2nd - both from earlier this year:

Back
Top Bottom