Jamaica-Ocho Rios diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hairtriggr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any feedback on the diving and other land-based activities in the Ochi area? Looks like the resorts are a bit more economical, and maybe a different selection of non-diving activities in the area. Looking at an early May timeframe, probably at Couples.

No experience at Ochi, but have stayed at the Couples Negril resort several times (which may be an indication of our endorsement of that resort company). The resort is well managed, clean, good food, etc. On-site dive op at Couples Negril is top rate, as well.

I was there for a day on a cruise. We spent the day at the sort of inexpensive local beach that we prefer (for many reasons in addition to just cost), and I did some snorkeling, which was OK, viz not great, no coral, some cool rocks, a little grotto, and lots of sea urchins, as I recall.

I read reviews of the diving and the dive operators and decided not to.

The poverty in that area is extreme. The high-end resorts, like couples, are fenced, so that you will not see it. You will have to decide whether you're OK with that.

Thanks guys, the more I study on it the more I'm thinking Negril, or a different island altogether. We like to travel mainly to dive, but really enjoy a big active resort for afternoon pool and beach activities, and the wives always have anxiety about what we spend for our cocktails and eating out every meal on vacation, so it's just easier for us to do all-inclusive, even though it probably ends up costing a little more. But it's all paid for up front and we don't have to worry about it again. I'm kind of intrigued with Sandals and Couples including the diving also, we've never had a package that covered that too.

If you want an honest opinion, I have 2 of them after 3 trips there (runaway bay, ocho rios and negril)

1. I would not go anywhere but Negril in Jamaica. The rest of Jamaica just sucks. Sorry in advance to anyone that doesn't agree, it's just my opinion).

2. If I was going to scuba in Jamaica, it would only be from Negril, the rest of it sucks reef wise and clarity wise. You're best off saving your scuba bucks for a real diving destination.

We've never dived anywhere on Jamaica other than Negril. First went there in 2003, then back 2008, 2013, 2015, and probably going back in 2019.

Each time, it seems like the reefs are healthier and the fish populations are bigger. The Couples Negril dive operation is first class, and very professional.

We love the entire Couples experience, but have also taken off-site excursions to some of the other island attractions.

If you need any particular information about Negril, please feel free to PM me.

IMO, the reason people might like Negril diving better than other areas of Jamaica is because it is on the leeward side, so odds are better that you will diving, without the wind. I like diving with Sandals or Couples Resorts because it is easy and simple, not because it is going to provide the amount of sea life that might be elsewhere. The water is just as blue, warm, and clear as anywhere else in the Caribbean, plus you will see the same sea life as anywhere else, maybe just not in the abundance as you might find elsewhere. If diving elsewhere, you might have more fish, but won't experience the types of resorts and culture you can get from the Sandals and Couples Resorts.

IMO, the reason people might like Negril diving better than other areas of Jamaica is because it is on the leeward side, so odds are better that you will diving, without the wind.

I agree on windy… That wind often gets dive trips canceled, and that wind also ruins the visibility. I even went on a glass bottom boat just for something to do and we could not even see anything. But I think the main reason people might like Negril scuba is because the depths, reefs, walls and wildlife is world class. Diving on the north shore is boring, low visibility and mostly sand flats with a few tiny corals formations sprinkled in.

IMO, the reason people might like Negril diving better than other areas of Jamaica is because it is on the leeward side, so odds are better that you will diving, without the wind. I like diving with Sandals or Couples Resorts because it is easy and simple, not because it is going to provide the amount of sea life that might be elsewhere. The water is just as blue, warm, and clear as anywhere else in the Caribbean, plus you will see the same sea life as anywhere else, maybe just not in the abundance as you might find elsewhere. If diving elsewhere, you might have more fish, but won't experience the types of resorts and culture you can get from the Sandals and Couples Resorts.

Thanks Scuba One. If we decide to do Jamaica, it will definitely be in Negril. I did put in a request for a quote on your website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom