James Cameron - Cave Diving Blockbuster 'Sanctum'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the divers are struggling against "raging" waters the diver the the left utilizing the split fins is in deep do-do. :)
Naw, just wait till the lead diver strangles himself with that streamlined noose floating around his head or hangs up his anchor and then steal his fins. :D

In my very humble opinion of wet rock divers that need flashlights...
(because I think cave diving is absolutely nuts)
I wish everyone who does it good luck and am happy you are leaving my lobsters alone for a while).

This looks like fun.

James Cameron has not disappointed lately.

I like a good popcorn movie now and again.
I can check my brain at the door for an hour and a half or so.
It might actually get some people interested in diving.

I can only hope all the characters dive in split fins as it will drive some people absolutely freaking nuts.
Hence the reason I wear my snorkel at Ginnie Springs on the cavern dives because the muffled sounds of the screaming by the serious cavers echoes beautifully off the walls.

I am looking forward to it.

Chug
Likes to see sunlight.

I predict an increase in demand for cave diving instruction after the release of this movie. I believe in the movie dry caving almost kills them and cave diving is what saves their lives. You need to put that spin on it with your friends and family, John. :wink:

I certainly hope that is true (especially for the cave instructors out there:cool2:), as I read in another thread about the concern that,... heaven forbid,.... it may lead to untrained & unqualified divers venturing into caves & getting hurt or worse after watching the movie.:depressed: That certainly would not be a help to our sport. I guess every movie like that has its good points (making our sport better known) & some not so good points. Case in point: after "101 Dalmatians" movie came out, there was a huge demand for this breed, which can tend to be a bit on the nervous side. Before you know it there were dalmatian puppies everywhere, that would soon wind up in shelters & rescues. Unintended consequences, I would assume. I just pray that is not the case with this.:shakehead:

Greetings fellow cave divers I have followed the release of "Sanctum" since I heard of the undertaking by James Cameron.
The actual event that inspired the movie was quite a tale and well worth reading.
I am trying to remember where I read it but I am not sure at this time.
As others have mentioned Hollywood has its vices but the review by AG gives me plenty of hope that the true spirit will be found the movie.

A group of us are planning to go on the release date here in Fort Wayne IN., if anyone is in the area come and join the fun.
Post movie debrief will be shared over a adult beverage or two at a yet to be announced location.

To comment on the movie inspiring cave diving, I think it might get a few to start training but most divers know very well that you do not venture into overhead with out training.
This story is about a very challenging cave in particular not that others are not but this one is pretty remote and tough to get down to.
I love the idea of combining base jumping and cave diving! That is some kick axx action in my opinion!

If you see the movie and are not a diver you are probably not as likely to run out and seek to dive a cave without training either.
My friends and family are still in shock over the PBS "Extreme Cave Diving".
I have long since convinced them that was sensationalized to attract viewers.
Most all of us understand what Hollywood does to create an atmosphere that attracts the masses, so go and enjoy the movie in the spirit in which it was "actually inspired".

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

How can it be a blockbuster when it has not even had its debut?

The last movie I saw in the theater was Quantum of Solace but I think Sanctum may end my drought.

The last time I saw a 3-D movie was in the mid 1970s.

It was a Devine Scratch-n-Sniff 3-D movie. At the theater entrance they handed you a pair of 3-D glasses and a Scratch-n-Sniff card.

Anyone remember Devine?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom