JANUARY 2006 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley:
Now if I can only figure out a way to get $2,000 past the wife. Any ideas?

I just dusted off my drysuit for this last weekends dive. Forgot how nice it was to get out take it off and no drying off, not to mention feeling all warm and fuzzie doing the dive.

When you go to Washington, tell her you have to buy some fancy cold weather gear (aka Drysuit) up there, to keep warm.

Congrats on the class!

pasley:
Cost Vs Benefit,,, for her. Bribes might work... does she like diamonds, shoes, trips, quiet time alone talking mushy girl stuff with her husband?

Congrats Melvin, pretty cool (or should I say warm?).

pasley:
Do what I did... every so often drop subtle hints about how cold the water is and how all your dive buddies have gone dry and loved it. After 3 years she will crack and give you permission to buy one as your Christmas present.

Buy her one too.

pasley:
. Now if I can only figure out a way to get $2,000 past the wife. Any ideas?

You get it by her in increments. It is not $2000 for the dry suit. But after you buy the new fins once or twice, and the new underwear once or twice, and the new gloves and yadda, yadda it will be $2000 plus, but at least it will be spread out over several months, so she will hardly notice at all.

A.

met up with missy and doug for a dive at the lj shores. surf was large toward the northern end other but small on the southern. extremely strong current running north to south from 8 ft to the surface. vis was anywhere from 10-20 ft, clearing up. we checked out the cool walls that are way south of vallecitos. nice dive.

Date: 07 Jan 2006
Dive Location: Catalina Rock Quarry
Dive Boat: Island Time
Buddy(ies): Leo, Megan, Troy
Time: 10:14 a.m.
Bottom Time: 21:00
Max Depth: 96 fsw
Vis: 50 feet
Wave height: swells in the 2 foot range
Temp at depth: 57F Suunto degrees
Surface Temp:59 F. Suunto degrees
Gas mix: 21% Air
Comments: Fist of the Open Water (ocean) Drysuit certification dives. Megan was working on her Advance certification so this was her deep dive. We decended to 45 feet where we could clearly see carpets of squid eggs on the ocean floor at 95-100 feet. Megan went to 100 feet, while I stayed above her at 96. She did her required skills. I then executed my required skills (fin pivot and hover) and then we went back up to do a safety stop where I executed yet another skill (disconnecting dry suit inflation hose). The marine life was in short supply today, but at least we were wet, er, make that dry but in the water. Dry suit performed as advertised and I stayed toasty. Meagan on the other hand in her wet suit was quite chilled.

Date: 07 Jan 2006
Dive Location: Catalina Howland’s Landing
Dive Boat: Island Time
Buddy(ies): Leo, Megan, Troy Also on the boat: the beautiful Saphire (Jennifer)
Time: 17:07 p.m.
Bottom Time: 41:10
Max Depth: 82 fsw
Vis: 30 feet
Wave height: swells in the 2 foot range
Temp at depth: 59F Suunto degrees
Surface Temp:61 F. Suunto degrees
Gas mix: 21% Air
Comments: Last of the drysuit certification dives. I executed my required skill by removing and donning my BC. Now fully certified to dive the dry suit as previously arranged I, Troy and another gentleman went to enjoy a nice dive while Megan did her Advance course (photography but the camera did not function so they moved on to fish identification). During our tour of the reef we saw little marine life. Lots of blue banded gobies, a few opal eye and rubber lipped surf perch and of course Sheeps head. Since this was a lobster preserve, no hunting was allowed, so naturally I spotted a large bug. Actually I spotted a very large eel, and assuming there would be a bug in his hole I changed the angel of view and sure enough there were some very long antenna in there with him. I assume it was a large bug, but I could not see the body, just the head. Spotted two eels and one octopus but not much else of interest. When my dive companions reached 800 PSI we headed back to the boat from 50 feet going up and toward the boat. We had toured the reef structure from the middle, to the north, then to the southern end and back to the middle by my reckoning. I figured we were just a tad past the boat so we started up while swimming out to sea and a tad bit south. When we hit 15 feet, we were under the boat. After our 3 minute safety stop, we surfaced at the rear of the boat. Good dive overall and I was nice and warm and dry.

Still no plans to buy a dry suit. Donations gratefully accepted if you have one you want to give away. Size medium. The class will come in handy in Washington next month as I fully plan to rent a suit there too.

Since this was a fast boat and only two tanks (darn it), I was back in time to meet clients at 3:30. So I could boat dive and still get in some work.

pasley:
Still no plans to buy a dry suit. Donations gratefully accepted if you have one you want to give away. Size medium. .

Melvin,
Welcome to diving dry and warm. I have on older CF200 I might part with. Send me an email. If you are coming to the Wrinkles dive, you could try it on there.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom