Japanese diver killed by prop - Phuket, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Japanese tourist killed by boat propellor in Koh Similan | Phuket Gazette
Just days after the Phuket Governor reported a clean sheet for marine boat accidents during the Seven Dangerous Days reporting period, a Japanese tourist has died during a trip to Koh Similan.

37 year old Yoshida Saori from Japan was scuba diving alone near Koh Tachai yesterday (January 4). She jumped from the boat when a big wave pushed her under the boat. Her head hit the propellor resulting in deep wounds and damage which proved to be fatal.

She was being rushed to Takuapa Hospital by a speed boat from the Similan Islands National Park but died during the journey back to shore. Her body is now being kept the hospital pending a full autopsy and contact with the woman’s relatives.

Nothing in this life scares me ... except propellers.

Is it clear what kind of a boat she was diving from? There should be more awareness of this issue both on the part of divers and on the part of people piloting boats!

R..

Were the propellers on or off? It says big waves pushed her under the boat towards the propellers.

Dogbowl, if someone receives a serious injury from a propeller then it is on. Mistakes do get made but there is ground to win by making people aware of the risks.

R..

Once, I backrolled from a boat in Coz and hit my head on the boat after I hit the water, so I can understand how wave action can drag someone under the boat.

But propellers are supposed to be off before divers enter the water.

Dogbowl, if someone receives a serious injury from a propeller then it is on.

One can get a serious injury from a prop that is off. A big wave can pick up the stern, suck you under, and when the stern comes down it wields the prop and rudder like an ax, even if the prop is off it can cause a lot of damage.

Props are sharp and ment to slice through water, skin is not that much tougher. I had to unfoul a prop at sea, don't ever want to do it again. Got beat up, but took the time to avoid the prop and rudder.

Bob

One can get a serious injury from a prop that is off. A big wave can pick up the stern, suck you under, and when the stern comes down it wields the prop and rudder like an ax, even if the prop is off it can cause a lot of damage.

I wouldn't want to get hit on the head even with my dad's tiny 25hp outboard's not spinning prop on a timid river. It's not much different from whacking your head on an axe blade.

My condolences to the family of the unfortunate victim-- a tragedy that should have never occurred

On September 22 1962 Darrell Toso was surfacing next to his float and flag in a known dive area at Catalina Island and was struck by a boat severely chopped up by the propeller,
He survived via a number of fortunate events however his back muscles and right arm were damaged beyond repair to normal function-- not a pleasant sight

This was the first time a diver flying the red & white diver flag was struck and injured by a boat. In the litigation that followed I was called as the first Expert Witness on the validity of the divers flag and it use.

We prevailed and Darrel was awarded $138, 000 a tidy sum in 1962
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few years later two friends struck by a churning propellers and inured

Bob Maniki , a member of the US spearfishing team was injured and walked with a limp the remainder of his life as did Bob Retherford who developed the first UW signaling system in 1954 (see www.portagequarry.com Legend of diving "Sea Sabres signaling system"
~~~~~~~~
Spinning or even stationary propellers are extremely dangerous and should avoided at all cost

Sam Miller,III

Spinning or even stationary propellers are extremely dangerous and should avoided at all cost

Last summer, a mooring line became fouled in our the prop. I made sure the crew disabled any chance the prop might start. Got a nasty cut anyway. My first thought was, "Wow! If a stationary prop can do this, I can't imagine what a spinning prop could do."

Last edited:
Possibly diving from a "longtail" boat. When I dove Thailand those boats worried me due to the long extension of the driveshaft and prop.

Back
Top Bottom