Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Kim!

A Canadian from the Philippines...:D

Your links refer to the Yushin Maru No. 2, not the Nisshin Maru.
I'm not quite sure what your point is but I think you are wrong....

Sea Shepherd activists engaged with the Japanese factory ship Nisshin Maru inside Australia's Antarctic waters today as they try to shut down the whaling season.

Your links refer to the Yushin Maru No. 2, not the Nisshin Maru.

The point that Kim is trying to make is that they boarded a ship without the crew's permission, it doesn't really matter which ship.

My .02 psi
If the population of minke whales is such that some can be harvested, and science has yet to prove them to be sentient, what exactly is the reason why we shouldn't harvest a reasonable quota? On the flip side, I completely disagree with the harvesting of endangered fin whales.

That being said, I think there should be a second ship to give them a taste of their own medicine. Since SS named their flagship for the silly crocodile wrestler,(pbuh) I propose we christen this ship the Ted Nugent.

The crew will be tasked with reading recipes for tasty animals to the SS over the radio and barbecuing legally purchased whale meat on the foredeck.

BBQ sauce bombs should be thrown at the Steve Irwin from committed volunteers in zodiacs and smug, self righteous messages about sustainable whaling can be delivered periodically by boarding parties.

Maybe we can give the captain a shiny badge. Any takers?

What really caught my attention in the "Whale Wars" programs that aired recently were the attempts by the Sea Shepard crew to foul the propeller of two Japanese ships, thereby disabling them. They used a set of ropes and bouys specifically designed to get stuck on the propellor shaft. In the Southern Ocean going dead in the water can lead to major problems if the weather turns nasty.

IMO that action was criminal. Not even vigilante. Just plain criminal attack, not that much different than trying to ram and sink a ship.

Just imagine the level of indignation throughout the world if the Japanese purposefully were to try to disable/foul the propeller of the Steve Irwin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom