Jazz champion Svensson dies in scuba diving accident, at 44

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Tiburon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From BBC News

The Swedish jazz pianist and composer Esbjorn Svensson has died in a scuba diving accident near the Swedish capital Stockholm. He was 44.

His Esbjorn Svensson Trio, known as EST, became renowned for bringing jazz to a younger audience.

They gained international acclaim playing in rock venues, using light shows and fog machines at concerts.

The music of EST drew on disparate influences, ranging from classical music to funk.

Burkhard Hopper, EST's manager, told Reuters news agency that Svensson had died on Saturday in Sweden's Stockholm archipelago.

"Musically, he was the light that lit the world because in what he did he was pushing boundaries," Mr Hopper said.

"His music inspired people in all corners of the world."

I saw this earlier, and was actually going to post it until I saw this thread was already here. I'm not really familiar with this guy, but does anyone know anything about the accident?

Not much more but this is all I can find.

He was in a company of divers on Saturday June 14th at a Swedish jetty/landing stage under supervision of a dive-leader when he was found severely injured at the bottom. Resuscitation was unsuccessful. The police will investigate the cause of Svensson's death. The announcement of the death came as a shock for the chairman of the Swedish Jazz Society: “He was a big name way outside of Sweden."

When we say severely injured what do you mean by that ? Do we have any information ? Dive injury ?

I don't mean anything. Those are not my words. I copied that from internet news sources. Actually, I should have put it in quotes and cited the source. As indicated that was all the information I could find regarding this SCUBA related death.

I have been searching for information about the accident in Swedish papers, but there is really no information about the accident. It only sais that he was found on the bottom (apart from the others apparently) and that all efforts to save him was unsuccessfull (sp?). The police are going to investigate his gear and all the equipment etc. It doesn't say if he was certified or not, if it was a training dive or anything unfortunately.

I have never been diving here in Sweden, but the visibility in the sea outside Stockholm can be really bad. So the question is, why was he separated from the group and why didn't anyone notice?

It's so very sad anyway, and thoughts goes to his family, friends and band members of course (I mean..what should they do now with their trio)?

Does anyone knows, 10 years later, what has happened in Stockholm harbour that day of 2008 ? I was a huge fan of E.S.T and since then I can't find anything on internet relating to the circumstances of the accident... Thank you, and sorry about the digging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom