• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

jellyfish sting

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by pidgiepoo, Dec 20, 2008.

1. pidgiepoo

pidgiepoo Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Got my first jelly fish sting...on my upper lip. Couldn't let go of my lip for the rest of the dive due to the pain. The DM said that salt water can enhance the pain of the sting. I was able to complete the dive as long as I didn't let go of my mouth. Was there something else I could have done underwater until I got to the vinegar topside? Once I repeatedly applied the vinegar, I was fine.

2. Ron @ StingMate

Ron @ StingMate Guest

Hey Pidgie...sorry to hear about your sting....couldn't get much worse than being on your lip....there is a new product out being picked up by all the major commercial dive, beach and rescue and dive shops all around the world...just released June of '08...showcased at DEMA Las Vegas show in Oct. called StingMate....took us over 2 years to get it right...all natural active ingredients...Lidocaine free...been proven effective in controlled lab stings and in the field worldwide...our product works...we are currently working on an underwater application for events like yours as we speak...also, we are getting closer to a first aid for Fire Coral wounds...StingMate works on the Man o War, Pacific Coast Sea Nettle, swimmer's itch, the Lion's Mane and we're building data in Australia and Oahu on the variety of Box stingers...we'll keep every one posted...in the mean time, look for us in your favorite dive shops or go on the web..google stingmate to purchase...check out our site for the latest news alerts and information...good luck and may all your dives be safe ones...

best regards,

Ron@stingmate

3. don Francisco

don Francisco Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    There's not much you can do until you're topside. There's also not much to do as a preventative. I've had a few stings over the years, and the only thing I do is try to avoid the ones I see.

Sometimes there will be a bunch at a particualr depth and you can avoid them by going higher or lower.

It'll be interesting to see if the folks at Stingmate can come up with a first aid you can start while still submerged. If they do, I'd probably buy some, especially if it works on Hydroids.