Jet Fins and DIR/techdiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
I have been wondering for a while now, why DIR/tech divers recommend buying "EXTRA LARGE" jetfins. Why "extra large" can anyone enlighten me? Cheers

I don't know if the DIR bubbas have some special reason - my jets are extra large because that's what fits comfortably over my drysuit boots, and still allows reasonably easy removal.
Rick

x-large is what are needed to fit over many dry-suit boots
(mine included)

it would not be DIR, nor very smart, to use fins that are
too large. therefore, if a "large" jetfin fits your drysuit
better than x-large, i'd suggest you use what properly fits.

K cheers lads, thought perhaps the blade was a fair amount longer on extra large jetfins, but you have enlightened me somewhat, thanks again.

Frog -
Actually the blade is a fair amount longer on Xl than on L - I have a pair of both and am just waiting for a cute thing I can pass the L's on to...

you get about 2 inches more on the blade on XL -but the main reason is that you need XL to fit over your drusuit boots.
If you like the slightly smaller you can go with Turtle fins as well - still DIR compliant.

Cheers,
Dane

For what it is worth, the XL-Jets really are larger and as such, should provide more thrust. That is the argument of some of us DIR folks anyhow.

Of course, GUE and the DIR proponents strongly emphasize having a high level of physical fitness which would definitely be needed if a smaller person were to use the XL-Jets.

I would have to agree /w/ Green Manelishi in the final argument though; using fins that are too big and stressful on the knees, ankles, etc (especially if those joints have been injured in the past and one is missing ligaments and cartilages) doesn't seem very DIR to me either.

Hi again peeps.

Well i tried some jetfins on today in extra large and could only just get my foot in them and i have a size 8 foot. The pocket on the medium was tiny so i understand now why they mention XL. Cheers guys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom