Jet fins vs Apeks RK3 fins....thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a funny story - well not really, just an annoying one, for me.

I first got the original Scubapro Jetfins. They were awesome but the foot pocket wasn’t that comfortable aided by the fact that I got the wrong size (on internet) as I was transitioning from 5mm to 7mm boots and forgot to take that into account.

I returned the jetfibs back and got the Apeks RK3 HD fins. I like these fins but they’re just barely negatively buoyant and for me, I find them slightly too soft when I’m frog kicking. Also, I have floaty feet because most of my weight is around by chest, and prefer heavier fins even in a wetsuit. I can still trim out in the rk3s but it’s not ideal and harder.

I also tried the Hollis F1 LTs and really liked them because they are so powerful but they also feel very clunky, not that they were hard to move or anything (I have strong enough legs), they just felt very big. I still liked them though.

I think I will try the jetfins on in the correct size again or the Hollis but I’m still having a hard time finding fins.

I will probably end up going back to the Scubapro Jets.

RK3's are floppy and suck. I haven't tried the HD's.

If you get Jet Fins do at least three 45 min lap swims (or shorter but more swims if need be) to break them in. Make sure the booties are right. Expect foot cramping until break in. They are like construction boots this way. This is rarely mentioned but I’m convinced it is responsible for many cases of poor Jet Fin bonding and bad foot pocket reputation. They go from “ouch” to “those are MY Jet Fins!”

Any opinions between the two? Looking to try a shorter fin.

Thanks,
Bill
You have to try fins. They are not good or bad, they are suitable for you, and the rest of your setup, or not.

My main fins at the moment are RK3s. I also have Hollis F1s. The first time I used RK3s I hated them. I had to borrow a pair of fins, any fins, on a quarry pontoon, as a student had broken a strap. I was only along for a laugh so my fins were saving the course for the student and I’d just miss a dive. I was lucky, a total stranger lent me his fins. However I was head heavy for the whole dive as the RK3s are much lighter than the F1s. That was with a twinset. These days I am usually diving a rebreather and I am foot heavy, so the RK3s are better. If I take a twinset, I also take the F1s.

You have to try fins. They are not good or bad, they are suitable for you, and the rest of your setup, or not.

My main fins at the moment are RK3s. I also have Hollis F1s. The first time I used RK3s I hated them. I had to borrow a pair of fins, any fins, on a quarry pontoon, as a student had broken a strap. I was only along for a laugh so my fins were saving the course for the student and I’d just miss a dive. I was lucky, a total stranger lent me his fins. However I was head heavy for the whole dive as the RK3s are much lighter than the F1s. That was with a twinset. These days I am usually diving a rebreather and I am foot heavy, so the RK3s are better. If I take a twinset, I also take the F1s.
Is presume a twin set with a drysuit? V weight?

Is presume a twin set with a drysuit? V weight?
I had a v weight at that time, I have a tail weight still. I recently removed the v weight as am too heavy, even without a weight belt, in fresh water. I mean to try with different undersuits so I know how much to adjust by. I will wait until the water is colder though.

How do you set your doubles? As far up on your back as possible?

How do you set your doubles? As far up on your back as possible?
No, As low as I can make them and still reach the valves. I am head heavy on a twinset, hence the F1 fins. I only really dive a twinset if taking in novices so maybe I should give it another go in a lake with different fins as well as different undersuits, but 8 have the F1s and they work so I probably will not bother. Also it helps with the bag A of CCR kit and bag B of OC kit if the fins at the bottom are different.

My point to the OP is that we can’t tell him if fins are any good, Unless they are truly awful, I have some of those but forget the brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom