jets and spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmcfealy

Reaction score
I just got a new usia drysuit and love it. The only problem im having is my fins. I have a pair of mares volo that i love in my wetsuit, but the buckles are a pain in my ass when im dry. I figured it would not be a bad idea to get some new fins when im diving dry. It seams that many people are advocating jets. I have looked at the reasoning and it seams quite valid. I am planning on getting a pair. When it come to the spring straps I was curious what size i will need. My boots are hard moled and size either 12 or 13. Also where is a good place to get these fins and springs.
Thanks alot for your help
Doug

I doubt very much you'll be able to fit a pair of size 12 molded drysuit boots into a pair of XL Jets. Look into getting a set of Turtles, from IDI - sort of like, Jet Clones, with humungous foot pockets.

I think you'll find that those size boots wont fit comfortably into a pair of Jets. You'll probably have to go to Turtles. You may also want to look at putting spring straps on your Mares. There are several other people on here that have done that conversion.

I've never personally used them, but heard good things about them from others such as Uncle Pug. I'm sure one of them will be along shortly to extoll their virtues.

I've got both the jets and the turtles. I think that they are very similar. The foot pocket on the turtle is HUGE, and I need it for my Bare Trilam boots.

icediver once bubbled...
You can't go wrong with a set of turtles.

T

I have both Jet fins (warm water/wetsuit diving) and Turtles (drysuit) and love them! I have spring straps on both! With your feet you will need turtles and XL spring straps. Halcyon makes a good strap but I hear you can get cheaper straps!

Safe Diving:)

deluca2799 once bubbled...

I have both Jet fins (warm water/wetsuit diving) and Turtles (drysuit) and love them! I have spring straps on both! With your feet you will need turtles and XL spring straps. Halcyon makes a good strap but I hear you can get cheaper straps!

Safe Diving:)

I had cheaper straps. Tension on them was so high they always made my heel hurt and the stainless steel wire you use to attach them with was a PITA.

I finally broke down and got the Halcyon straps. I cringed at paying even more for a second set of springs. Especially when I measured them against my old straps and figured out the next larger size would be too big and the smaller size was the same length as what I had.

But, I bought 'em anyway. Putting them on was a breeze with the OEM style buckle. Especially compared to the "bend em 'n cuss em" fasteners on my original springs.

Then when I tried them on, lo and behold the spring tension was less! No more sore heels. No more scrunched toes! My jets fit perfectly.

BTW, anyone wanna buy a slightly used set of spring straps? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom