Question Jetty spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree, but the rule defines descending devices,
Last year a local spearo was stopped on a routine 'resources' check. Although he had BOTH a descending snap-release device PLUS the required 60ft of thin line in a ziplock bag he failed the 1 pound attached weight. He quickly tied the line to his foldable pliers and problem solved. When questioned about "readily available" because it was in his dry bag, he said the drybag was clear and since it was under his seat it met the test of "line of sight".

So spearo's need to cover 4 areas.
* Snap releasable hook (descending hook)
* 60 ft line (can be thin 2lb test mono fishing line coiled up)
* 1lb weight - I used a stretched paper clip attached to my pliers
* Line of sight (clear drybag) = achieves Rigged & readily available provision on a charter.

(it's all the luck of the draw if an officer is having a bad afternoon and wants to go word by word with you)

Last year a local spearo was stopped on a routine 'resources' check. Although he had BOTH a descending snap-release device PLUS the required 60ft of thin line in a ziplock bag he failed the 1 pound attached weight. He quickly tied the line to his foldable pliers and problem solved. When questioned about "readily available" because it was in his dry bag, he said the drybag was clear and since it was under his seat it met the test of "line of sight".
I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but the way it's written, it's best to be prepared even if it's just absolutely ridiculous.

When I was trying to buy one, a couple years ago, I simply couldn't. At that time, it wasn't required for the Gulf, only for the Atlantic, so I could sort of understand why the local tackle shops didn't have anything. So, I had to make my own.

I found these plans.

I made one modification. The Fish Grip brand seems to have a stronger lock. I instead use a Rapala Fish Gripper in the 6" size. One side of the gripper handle is attached to the line, the other side has a 2lb weight on a braided cable. The line is connected to an old broken rod and reel (reel works, rod is just 1/2 of a 2 piece rod). With the Rapala gripper, the rubber band is not needed. When sending a fish down, clamp and lock on lower lip, open bale on reel, and send over board. When it stops, close bale, reel in slack, then "set the hook." This will open the jaws and release the fish.

The Fish Grip brand wouldn't release quite as easy, which is why those plans call for a rubber band. The only challenge with the Rapala is with triggerfish. As it has a more blunt nose, it can be tougher to get in the small mouth of the trigger.

it's best to be prepared even if it's just absolutely ridiculous.
I think you wrote this sentence perfectly for Spearo's to comply with the rule.

Below are picts of what I did to comply with the 4 NOAA requirements {weight, line, device, rigged&ready)

It's flat and 3 inches by 4 inches {not w/pliers}. 2 picts > Exploded view & packaged view

The device is called the " Sheldon Descending Device " and it's available all over the internet cheap at $6.
98% of spearo's don't carry one, but all it takes is a new officer looking to prove he's tough on violators and now you got a ticket handed to you.

When for the price of a cup of coffee it could have just been a 30 second conversation and your on your way

Descender_Assembled.jpg
Descender_full.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom