Jill Heinerth training video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I *do* find it interesting that some on here say you have to touch Ginnie, when a video has been posted where we went 2400ft back and didn't touch anything but the lips.

Yes, but you're James of UCF . . . . :wink:

Seriously, folks, a lot of people are getting bent out of shape over a perhaps poorly stated but really valid viewpoint.

1. The video shows a surprising (to those of us that only hear about cave diving) lack of the skills we would expect.

2. The lack of skills were coupled to an instructor of whom the first thought is, "No way!"

3. Jill's email explained it -
I have a really strong belief in "discovery learning" which allows a student to make choices and mistakes and learn from those experiences in the water rather than preventing all the learning opportunities in the first place.
. . . so, she let the people start and experience the requirements -- and helps them understand if their skills are not up to snuff.

4. Experienced Ginnie divers explain the impact of Ginnie flow on new divers - sounds like that is the way it is.

So, except for a few people that take the implied criticism personally on Jill's behalf (whereas she does not), and a few people who think they know requirements better than the instructor in the video ( :eek:hbrother: ), there really isn't anything to get your knickers in a bunch over . . .

. . . . besides, it makes you walk funny!

This confirms my opinion that Jill is one on the ball lady.
I have never personally met Jill, so I only have had contact through more remote means. When I bought her text on cave diving, she did sign it for me. My better contact, though, came when I was writing an education article in which I made an analogy to cave diving. I sent an email via her web site to ask if it would be possible to use a picture in the article. She responded immediately from the Bahamas and sent me two great shots she had taken that day. I also know her reputation in general, which is pretty stellar. Thus, when someone takes an anonymous and unexplained shot at her teaching ability (I am talking about Moonglow, not the OP), I expect something more than that anonymous and unexplained slur.

I would expect the same even if it were not someone with Jill's reputation. If an instructor is going to call out another instructor by name and call her actions inexcusable, then I believe that instructor should have the courage to state her own name and specify what is being done wrong.

and a few people who think they know requirements better than the instructor in the video ( :eek:hbrother: )

Who are you referring to?

Who are you referring to?

. . . great, now you're putting me in the middle of this . . . I was referring to moonglow.

Trying to be non-blame-storming with the generalizations.

I'm an experienced instructor with over 250 cave dives.

I know nothing about you, your instructing ability, or the quality of your personal diving. Perhaps you are the best cave instructor to ever grace the planet, but...

IMHO 250 dives is a very small number of cave dives for a cave instructor. I know lots of divers who do over 100 long cave dives per year. With the short dives that instructors do, I would expect anyone who has been at it for more than a couple of years to have accumulated many times what you claim.

Just sayin.

. . . great, now you're putting me in the middle of this . . . I was referring to moonglow.

Trying to be non-blame-storming with the generalizations.

I don't really see where he said he knew requirements better than the instructor in the video.

I know nothing about you, your instructing ability, or the quality of your personal diving. Perhaps you are the best cave instructor to ever grace the planet, but...

IMHO 250 dives is a very small number of cave dives for a cave instructor. I know lots of divers who do over 100 long cave dives per year. With the short dives that instructors do, I would expect anyone who has been at it for more than a couple of years to have accumulated many times what you claim.

Just sayin.

quantity is clearly where it's at

Moonglow's profile indicates she is a woman and a NAUI instructor. It does not specify that she is a NAUI cave instructor. Her cave qualifications are not mentioned.

The way that I read their post was that they were a cave diver with 250 dives and an instructor. No mention was made of being a cave instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom