John Steele

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those who have not heard, the legendary "King of the Wreck Hunters" John Steele died last Monday at the age of 90. John was one of the earliest Great Lakes divers and the very first shipwreck hunter. Starting in the mid 1950s, John located many of our dive sites we enjoy today with number believed to be in the 40's.

North Star
Col. AB Willaims
Phildelphia (found the contact a mile away but needed Dave Trotters help to zero in and identify it)
Albany
Pewabic
Glenorchy
Dunderburg (assisted with Kent Bellrichard)
Argus (In Dick Race's boat)
John Cowle
Superior City
Multiple Schooners off of Port Austin and Harbor Beach
Cayuga
First civilian diver to investigate the Cedarville
Aurania

With the passing of such an icon, it is truly an end of an era where many of us have followed in the footsteps of John and many of his friends and associates. There's still many wrecks to be discovered, but the quantity and quality of what's left is certainly diminished thanks to efforts of the first and current generation of wrecks hunters like himself.

R.I.P. John. He was certainly one of the greats.

I have known John since I started diving great lake wrecks in 1977. I was very fortunate to have dove with John and done some projects and shows with him. He was a one of a kind person and I will miss him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom