Johnsie Hudspeth dies in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
?It?s just the saddest thing?

Content quoted below:

The woman and community leader

Hudspeth graduated from Elkin High School in 1968 and attended Pfeiffer University, in Misenheimer. After college she worked with Brendles Department Stores as a diamond buyer. In the early 80's, she purchased a farm in State Road where she began raising and breeding horses according to brother-in-law, David Shepherd. She also gave riding lessons. Hudspeth later went into real estate and opened Century 21 Hudspeth Properties, a leading real estate firm in the area.

Hudspeth has been an active community participant in Elkin's growth and progress throughout the years. She served with numerous civic and government organizations, and was a past president of the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce. She was currently the president of the Yadkin Valley Rotary. Hudspeth volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, Tri-C Christian Crisis Ministries and Big Brothers - Big Sisters.

"I know for a fact that Johnsie helped people anonymously when they were in need," a resident of Elkin who wished to remain unnamed said. "There were families who were suffering when they were laid off from their jobs here in Elkin, and Johnsie paid their power and water bills and made sure they had groceries. I don't know if she personally took the money, but I know she used her own money to ensure some of these families were taken care of. That's just the kind of person she was, a true angel in disguise. I was honored to know her."

Former mayor and co-worker for the past 15 years at Hudspeth Properties, Tom Gwyn, spoke of Hudspeth with high regard.

"Johnsie was in the forefront of all the positive things in this community," Gwyn said. "She has been very positive in building the future of this community. She was a very unselfish, caring individual who came to the aid of many other individuals, many of which were unknown. We are very indebted to her and better off because she came our way."

Current mayor, Lestine Hutchens, and Hudspeth have been friends since childhood. They took diving lessons together and went on their first big dive together.

"Johnsie has been a friend of mine all her life," Hutchens said. "She has been involved with every civic organization and more in the community. She was my campaign manager when I first ran for commissioner. She had every job there was at the Chamber beginning in late 80's. She also served as vice- president of the economic club. She was a charter member of Rotary, and had sat in every chair. She was also very involved with the Surry Development Partnership. She was a good worker; someone who got in there and got the work done to make Elkin and Surry County the place that it is.

It's just the saddest thing," she said. "She was one of those friends that always encouraged you to do more, she was on your side. I am going to miss her and I know that her niece, Alice, and her nephews, Andrew and Will, will too. Will and Alice enjoyed going diving with her. She was very proud of her family."

Other people whose lives she touched also spoke highly of Hudspeth as a friend, mentor and philanthropist.

"I've know Johnsie personally for 5 years," said Misty Matthews of the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce. "I started working with her approximately a year ago at Hudspeth Properties. Not only was Johnsie a friend, but also a mentor. She made it easy to learn from her, and she was very happy to teach you.

When I was at Raffaldini Vineyards on Saturday, I was very surprised at how many people, from how far away knew of Johnsie. And, of how many people had been helped by her. If she knew of someone's personal goals she helped them reach them. She was so much more than a broker or a board chairman to me. She was very kind and patient, and she always had a good time. She was a very sweet lady and definitely someone to look up to.

She saw way beyond her family and the real estate business. Not only was she always out in the community, she remembered you. She may not have remembered your children's names, but she remembered them, and always took the time to ask and truly cared and wanted to know. A lot of people try to live their lives and make a difference, but Johnsie truly did. Sometimes you just don't realize how much someone meant in your life until they're gone. She meant a lot in mine."

Hudspeth had been diving for more than 20 years and was an avid golfer. She enjoyed spending time outdoors and with nature.

"I'm just In shock," said Laurette Leagon, Yadkin Valley Chamber President. "On a personal note, I'm sure going to miss my favorite dive partner. Johnsie was an accomplished open-water certified diver. Bobby Todd, at Yadkin Valley Chamber, was Johnsie's dive master. She was conscientious and very aware of her surroundings during dives. Her equipment was always well serviced.

It is a real blow to not only the chamber but to the community as well. Johnsie was a staunch member of the chamber and brought a lot of the success that the chamber now has. This success can be attributed to Johnsie and her hard work to the chamber and community as a whole."

Hudspeth was a long time member of the Cedarbrook Country Club. She participated in golfing events that provided funds for community service organizations as well as winning titles.

"She was avid golfer, and won multiple Cedarbrook ladies championships," Zim Zimmer, Cedarbrook's golf pro said. "I first met her when I came here in '82. She was a very good lady golfer. Her last win was in 2000. She was very active in the Cedarbrook ladies golf association up until the last few years. She had been experiencing knee problems as well as spending more time helping in the community. She did however, still take some time to play golf. She has been an avid supporter of the charity events held by the club and she's also been active in the Piedmont Ladies Golf association. Johnsie was very competitive and had a lot of ability. She even played on the mens golf team when she attended Elkin High School."

In her sister's words:

"Not only was Johnsie loving and generous to her family, she was to her community," Shepherd said. "We were blessed by the example that she lived in her gentle and quiet spirit of giving to others.

She not only loved our family, me and my husband David, but she could not have loved our three children, Andrew, Will, and Alice any more than if she had borne them herself."

With any passing a family suffers a great loss, but with the passing of Hudspeth, the community and people of Elkin have also lost one of its biggest advocates.

© elkintribune.com 2009

My condolences to the friends and family.I personally did not know Johnsie but my family did. I just spoke to my brother in Elkin a few minutes ago and he told me about the accident.I moved away from Elkin in 1980 but I have family and friends in the area and often visit---just there last weekend.

I will keep all of you in my prayers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom