Johny Longblades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lil Bit

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I saw this section here and thought I should pay tribute to the reason I'm now adamant in becoming a diver. My good friend, known by most as Johny Longblades, is the sole person who, after 13 years living in Florida, really helped me fall in love with the salty Gulf/Atlantic water. He talked to me about the wonders of the underwater world and I became fascinated with it. Still, getting certified took back burner. . . until now.
Johny passed away July 8th during a dive off of Key West. He was 23. He had the kind of presence that made you like to just be around him. I don't think he ever knew just how many lives he had touched. There's a saying "The life given us by nature is short, but the memory of a well spent life is eternal" and I think that epitomizes Johny. He lived life to the fullest and never let anyone put a stop to it. I know that every time I strap a tank to my back and sink into the clear blue water, Johny will be right there in my heart and in my thoughts.

Nice tribute. Glad to see he touched you enough to make you want to dive in his memory.

Reading the accident repord and browsing around the spearboards it seems he was one awesome buddy!

I have some mutual friends with Johny. His old partner kept trying to get me to the keys to go diving, but work and time never played out. I had the pleasure of meeting his dad a week ago at a memorial. If he was anything like him he is a wonderfull soul. It is amazing to hear how many stories there are out there for this man, and the respect so many had for him. I guess it goes to show that it isn't the time we have on earth, it's what we do with it. I can only hope that when I am done here, I have touched half as many lifes as him.

That was a great celebration of Johny. . . once I picked myself up off the bathroom floor and was able to join it after everyone got here :wink: The Irish would be so proud of that memorial! BTW, here's a couple pics first of him, then the memorial party.

Attachments

• JLB.jpg
    JLB.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 8-25-07 BBQ 021a.jpg
    8-25-07 BBQ 021a.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 283
  • 8-25-07 BBQ 033a.jpg
    8-25-07 BBQ 033a.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 271
Thank you,
Yea in full Irish/Caribbean tradition. By the way, I would like to add, that I would like to be there for your dives.

Johny was my partner, My firend, My little brother. We shared a Love of the Keys and Diving, EMS and just having fun. He was wise beyond his years and I can only hope to be half the person he was.
We will dive again in the Blue Water where the dolphin run best....RIP JLB

Such a young vibrant soul! I am very sorry for your loss.

Since I saw the story of his passing on Spearboard, everytime I have put on my long free diving fins I think of his name. Johny Longblades. May he be in a sea of mahi and yellow fins...

thank you for putting this up for JLB.
i will add some pics of the good times we had.....there were a couple:wink:

**JLB we will hunt again in crystal clear water with 100lb grouper**

Back
Top Bottom