Jordan trip - stick with Aqaba or make the trek to Sharm/Egypt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to both many times and agree with JackofDiamonds: diving definitely better in Sharm, even Dahab is far better...

+ 1 with rcaqua !

diving is better in Sharm... even for new divers, Aqaba (or Eilat) is...well... not fabulous

in fact, the gulf of Aqaba is small and you have there 2 cities and 2 commercial harbours... you see ?

There are direct flights from Amman to Sharm (45 minutes or so IIRC) so unless you are really keen on seeing Aqaba, I wouldn't bother. The sites in Jordan are fabulous and don't overlook the Jordan Pass that will give you discounted access to a number of sites, including Petra. And if your budget will allow it, I would definitely recommend camping in Wadi Rum.

Diving in Aqaba is awesome! You are also well located to see the sites in Jordan.
I spent 7 months there last year and I can recommend some great shops of things to do. PM me if you want.
I also have lots of videos on the diving situation in Aqaba.

Thanks for the replies, all! Definitely lots of good things here.

We're definitely starting our trip in Amman in October and doing all the sights. We'll likely be spending the week seeing the sights (Jerash, Dead Sea, Petra, Wadi Rum). We then have another week, and then it's a bit more difficult to think about what we want to do:

Option 1: Cross the border/Ferry to Sharm and go on a 4-day liveaboard with the King Snefro Fleet, then visit Cairo and see the pyramids

Option 2: Fly to Muscat and do a few day trips to the Daymaniyat Islands (and possibly see some whale sharks??), then sightsee around Oman for the rest of the week.

Choices, Choices :\

We're definitely starting our trip in Amman in October and doing all the sights. We'll likely be spending the week seeing the sights (Jerash, Dead Sea, Petra, Wadi Rum). We then have another week, and then it's a bit more difficult to think about what we want to do:

Option 1: Cross the border/Ferry to Sharm and go on a 4-day liveaboard with the King Snefro Fleet, then visit Cairo and see the pyramids

Option 2: Fly to Muscat and do a few day trips to the Daymaniyat Islands (and possibly see some whale sharks??), then sightsee around Oman for the rest of the week.

Choices, Choices :\

I've been on the Snefro 5 &6, great liveaboard

Of the 2 options you have listed, since you do it intent to stay and dive in Aqaba, I would go with option 1. Go to Sharm get some dives and go see the pyramids!

Of the 2 options you have listed, since you do it intent to stay and dive in Aqaba, I would go with option 1. Go to Sharm get some dives and go see the pyramids!

What he said☝ Provided you can travel in October....

Diving in Red Sea is better than Oman and October is not in season for whale sharks at Daymaniat anyway.

If I may.
While you are in Jordan I would add the following 2 things on your visit list.
1. Wadi Mujib. This is located right in front of the dead sea and a must do if it's open. See my video here:

2. Kerak Castle. Must more impressive than the one in Jerash. it's on the way to Petra and Wadi Rum.

A week is plenty for Jordan and you already have lots of good suggestions.

As some have mentioned, the diving in Aqaba is not all that memorable and Aqaba itself does not compare to Sharm in any way. So...Sharm + Cairo is a good combination for a busy week. If you were able to add a few more days and make your way up to Luxor, that would be a memorable trip. All of this, of course, hinges on the virus and how it is managed by the host country.

Absent a vaccine by the fall and given the likelihood of a second wave of covid coinciding with the seasonal flu outbreak....you will definitely want to have solid travel insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom