July water temps and wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edguide1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m going to west Maui in July and I’m wondering what the sea temps will be and what thickness wetsuit folks are wearing. Thanks

Plan for 79-81 degrees water and you’ll be fine. I’ve always worn my old 5mm suit, which is more like a 2.5mm at this point, but this year will be wearing a 3mm suit I have. Everyone has different cold tolerance though.

I've dove in Hawaii in July the past two years (Maui, Big island, Kauai) and have read between 77-80. My wife uses a 3mm shortie and I use a lavacore and vest. We're generally very comfortable, though maybe a little cold if we do multiple dives; we tend to shore dive and the sites are very shallow so plan for long bottom times. We generally exit because we're cold rather than low on air.

I’ll be on island at the same time, but in S. Maui (Kihei). If you want to venture down south and meet up for a dive, let me know when we get closer.

Maui is pretty consistently around 79-81F in the summer months. I always dive with a 5mm in Hawai'i, but I get cold very easily (I wear a hood in Kaua'i).

Last year I spent a week in Maui in July, I used a 3mm wet suit and it was perfect for me. The Divemaster I went with wore a t shirt and shorts everyday, just thru on the BCD and grabbed a mask.

I think most I saw diving used a 3mm shorty, or rash guard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom