"Junior" classmate without parent/family member

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I stress to my students is they always have the right to decline to dive with someone if they don`t feel comfortable or it doesn`t suit your dive plan and someone has the right to not want to dive with them

You have every right to request that you are not buddied with the 10 year old

Sometimes I split my couples up - but only if I see it`s causing issues - mostly I leave them train together

I let all my students pick their own buddies and only intervene if a pairing is counter productive - which is rare.

Ten-year-olds are what the Scuba Rangers program was designed for. I totally agree with what everyone has said -- someone that young is not mature enough either physically or psychologically to handle a sport like scuba diving with adults. I'm fairly certain that she would probably be more comfortable being around children her own age in a Scuba Rangers program. As for her mother dropping her off and then leaving....don't EVEN get me started! :confused:

It is always the ongoing debate at the dive shop. When there is interest in scuba by a child, when do we accept them for classes. This 10 year old has a father who is a regular in the shop and we (the shop staff) have known her for the last 3 years. She is mature for her age and definitely into diving.

There are other children we don't accept. We have them do a discover scuba, watch their behavoir and maturity and decide if we will train them. Have had to tell more then a few parents that their little prince/princess isn't ready for the class. Some accept our judgement, some go to another shop.

I say use your agencies equivalent of discover scuba, bubble makers and PADI seal team to assess their potential to proceed to Jr OW....if they are ready good. If not keep them in these other programs to help them grow and keep thier interest in scuba until they are ready to participate in a class.

ScubaTexan:
As for her mother dropping her off and then leaving....don't EVEN get me started! :confused:

Aside from "the ocean has no sides" (in reference to not holding on to the sides of the pool), my favorite quote of the day (in context) was:

The mom had a infant in tow as well, and the baby started crying during the saftey/risk awareness video, and mom stepped up to take the baby out of the room. The instructor told her that she couldn't leave and the mom replied, "Oh, I'm supposed to be watching the video? I thought I just had to sign the paperwork..."

-=* Mikki *=-

I agree that you should discuss this with the instructor. You paid good money your education, not to babysit somebody else's kid.

My wife and I took our Open Water class together and were buddied up through the whole course and Open Water dives. We signed up for the classes so that we could go diving together. Probably most of the dives I'm going to be doing will be with her as my buddy. We know what to expect from each other, and have a vested interest in making sure that we both stay safe and together.

Good luck with the classes, hope you get this situation resolved to your satisfaction.

mikkilj:
The mom had a infant in tow as well, and the baby started crying during the saftey/risk awareness video, and mom stepped up to take the baby out of the room. The instructor told her that she couldn't leave and the mom replied, "Oh, I'm supposed to be watching the video? I thought I just had to sign the paperwork..."

Gee, how did I not see this one coming? :icon_roll

MtnDiver:
Good luck with the classes, hope you get this situation resolved to your satisfaction.

Thanks :) . I'll let everyone know the outcome... I just hope I don't get labeled as being overly demanding or as a meanie... "How could a woman not want to work with this adorable little girl?"

-=* Mikki *=-

scubasean:
I'm not an instructor, but would think that one would rather split the couple up for training, if only to be able to identify if either needs additional help. This situation might not happen if both are paired together and one "helps" the other constantly...

Yes, I'd agree - except I'd rather see this lady with her hubby than a 10 year old. Some people avoid confrontations more than I would, and she seems like she may be a little on the polite side, so I was trying to help her find a solution she could use.

And people say its the attorneys that are the problem....Don, I'm generally in your court, and can't believe you would want to rely on this crutch....unless it were true that she was told this.

Same here, but use this only as a last resort... :wink:

DandyDon:
Yes, I'd agree - except I'd rather see this lady with her hubby than a 10 year old. Some people avoid confrontations more than I would, and she seems like she may be a little on the polite side, so I was trying to help her find a solution she could use... :wink:

Well, I try to be polite :) . But really, it's more that I don't know if I should necessarily bring up the age issue with the instructor or not. The way around that (that I can think of) would be to say "I only want to be buddied with my husband." Otherwise, I would say that I don't mind being buddied with other adults, but do not wish to be paired up with minors. The other couple in the class are not without baggage either; one of them had a near-death experience in the water and had not been in a body of water larger than a bathtub since the accident until our pool session. She had a really hard time with the mask clearing and such. Even so, I would rather be buddied with one of them than the 10 year old.

So, to make a long story longer, I guess it's just a matter of how to approach the instructor while maintaining a pleasant classroom environment that is conducive to learning for everyone who is participating :wink: .

-=* Mikki *=-

yes you can and should talk to your instructor about it, just tell them you have a phobia about children, or you have had bad experience with them (whether it is true or not).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom