Junior open water to standard open water card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arcadie

Registered
Reaction score
I got my junior open water card when I was 11 (16 years) ago. I have dived sporadically throughout the last 16 years with my father. The 2 limitations of the jr are that I have to dive with a parent (Always have dove with my dad so i have never had an issue) and I can not get tanks filled. Does anyone know what steps i need to take to get the standard OW card? as far as i can tell for PADI its just ask for a new card when you turn 16, there are no other requirements, what about for SSI? I will be going on a cruise in December and would like to dive at one of the stops.

Call PADI and have them send you a new one. There is no extra training that you need to do.

Either that or... SSI

Just ask for an updated card. You should also upload a new picture online.

I would also highly recommend a refresher course, but that one is up to you. There are plenty of decent instructors in NJ...or so I'm told

You are an OW diver, no longer a Jr. as you are now of age. You can get a new OW card from PADI, or take an AOW course (I would recommend it if your "sporadic" diving history contains long periods of inactivity). Plus as an AOW you can take advantage of deeper dives, night dives which may or may not be available to you as an OW diver.

Thanks for the replies, One more question i should have asked is do i actually need a new card (which cost $45), or can I use the current card plus proof of age (not that I even look under 15 years old)

Yes, you should be able to. I used my PADI Jr. card until age 28, also with a current photo ID. Never had a problem.

Late reply here, but SSI also has apps and you can print a temporary card from the ssi website so there would be no need to get a new plastic card unless you wanted to. And as far as using your jr ow card that isn't a issue since you automatically get upgraded once you turn 15

agree with erik above. the digital cards are free as far as i know. not sure why you would have to pay 45 bucks though for a card. that must include some kinda registration fee as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom