Suggestion Just a Suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
NJDiverMark

NJDiverMark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, so as a member of another forum for over 5 years and this forum for a couple months now, I have seen a common issue with members selling things. The issue is that 90% of the time there is no ACTUAL CURRENT picture of the item. Sometimes there isnt even a size, condition, or even price for that matter...

My idea (which was implemented in the other forum) is that every "for sale" thread must contain an actual picture (no photochops) of the item with a piece of paper or card with the site name (scubaboard.com), the members name (e.g. Njdivermark), and the date the picture was taken (which needs to be current), price needs to be stated in the original post, as well as if it includes shipping or not. Also any blemishes or wear should be stated as well.This will eliminate MANY issues. One is that the buyer can actually see the item and the condition it is in as well as the date so they know its a current picture. I have seen times where sellers say an item is in good condition, and someone buys the item and they are disappointed because its actually in poor condition. Two, it will save alot of time for the seller and the buyer. The seller wont have to send out several emails with a picture or info. The buyer saves time as well because they can simply click on a thread and get all the info and not have to pm the seller and wait for a response for a picture or price or condition of the item.

Also, the seller should be allowed to edit the original poat if they need to modify (lower) the price or add any additional information they need. They can also erase all the info on the post when the item is sold, and they can simply put sold in the original post. This will save buyers and sellers time because buyers wont have to surf the thread looking for all the current prices, info, or if the item is still available. This also helps the site staff as they can simply click on a thread and see if an item is sold or not and they can close and/ or erase the thread to allow for more space on the site.

If at any time the seller doesnt adhere to the rules, a moderator can simply close the thread permanently or until the seller adheres to the rules. This make take some monitoring but i think imho that this will make for a better buying and selling experience.

Maybe a mod can put in a poll, like an agree, disagree thing..... Thanks. Flame suit is on and i cant wait to hear what everybody thinks.

well, its just after 5am here .. so maybe a little later ? :)

as far as knowing if the item is still for sale, usually the seller has the thread locked after the sale

I agree but this would just simplify the process all around. Its mostly for the picture and correct info.

"must contain" precludes that every seller here has the desire - and ability - not to mention technology - to be able to upload an image somewhere to be linked to. Most probably do but based on repeated requests for assistance in Site Support - I don't think that's a given. I agree that it would be useful for sellers to include pictures and certainly pricing in their listings.

And some members just use the classifieds as a point of contact, preferring to complete the transaction via e-mail/phone/in person etc. I think far more people know how to attach a picture to an e-mail than to upload it to online photo sites - including our gallery, photobucket etc. and then link to it in their posts. At least that's been my experience as someone who often fields such requests here. This sticky already addresses some of these issues: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gear-equipment-classifieds/273481-want-sell-your-scuba-gear.html

Allowing later editing of posts opens up a whole set of potential problems also:

A poster could make a change - which is indicated initially at the bottom of the post - but later go back and edit the post again to reflect a change in condition etc. that would not be visible except as a later timestamp. While sr. staff members can track all the changes through the system via a database query, it's not apparent to users.

In a dispute the seller could then claim that the buyer bought the item knowing the deprecated condition. Unless the buyer copied the thread at the exact sale time, they would have no ability to later prove it had not been subsequently edited.

In a disputed scenario under your proposal, a seller could actually delete the entire record of the item ever having been offered denying the buyer legal recourse.

Regarding later editing of posts to reflect a change in sold status:

If a seller changes the price by adding a reply to their original listing, it's a free "bump" and moves the post to the top of the classifieds/new posts. If they were allowed instead to edit the original post, the original posting date/time wouldn't change so the change would not be apparent to anyone viewing the forum in a thread view. Or via New Posts. In the more active classifieds forums, the change would be buried hundreds of thread views down. Especially if it were a month or so later.

We encourage sellers to close their own posts. It's in the Special Rules.

It's not something the staff has time to do routinely. Afaik, most of us don't even monitor the classifieds that closely. Also - occasionally a transaction does not complete as planned so often the seller then posts that the item is once again available alerting other previously interested buyers.

We also never delete a thread permanently - some controversial threads are removed from public view. We have a lot of server space...:wink: and run nightly backups.

If someone at a later date was looking for comparison pricing for an item they wished to sell, editing/deletion of the post by the seller or SB would make that more difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_B

Back
Top Bottom