Just back from Cocos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoProHonduras

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I wanted to share an amazing experience I have just had in Costa Rica. From Dec 8th to 18th, myself and friends travelled on the Undersea Hunter, to Cocos Island, off Costa Rica, and I can honestly say I felt that I was one of the most satisfied beings on Earth. To witness such magnificent wonders in their natural habititat is a privilidge that few will have and I hope that every diver, at least once in their scuba life, can make such a ´pilgrimage´.

In just 7 days we encountered a pod of Orcas at the surface, were diving with Dolphins, Mantas, Mobula Rays, Marble Rays, Schooling Hammerheads, Galapagos sharks, Whitetip sharks, Black tip sharks, Turtles and thousands of Yellow fin tunas and jacks. Absolutely mind blowing, not just to witness such amazing life, but to see it behaving so naturally!!!

The conditions were awesome, slight waves, moderate currents, and average temp 27C, there were 13 dives on the liveaboard and 7 in our group, mainly dive professionals. I had a great diving on my closed circuit rebreather which allowed me to get closer to the aquatic life and spend longer time photographing them.

Once I get back to Utila I´ll get the photos up online.

Although I am sad the trip is at an end we had a great time, I made some more friends and already we are planning our next group trip to Galapagos next year, if anyone wants to join us we have a few spaces open.

A merry Christmas and great 2007 to everyone!!!

Warm regards,
Andy

sounds really great Andy,
sad to think that regular visitors to the Cocos are seeing reduced numbers of fish there, even with them being 300 miles offshore. Thanks to the long line fishing fleet of Tiwanese boats that CR allows to operate out of Puntarenas.

rexman24:
sounds really great Andy,
sad to think that regular visitors to the Cocos are seeing reduced numbers of fish there, even with them being 300 miles offshore. Thanks to the long line fishing fleet of Tiwanese boats that CR allows to operate out of Puntarenas.

Yes, sadly I even have a photo from the last dive at Alcyon of a Hammerhead, trailing a line and hook from his body.

Warm regards,
Andy

I'm off to Cocos myself in January with Undersea Hunter.
Sounds like it was as good as reported.
Any last minute advice you can give me?
Will a 3mm suit be enough?
Would love to see some pictures.
Kerstil

You'll love it!!!!

I have to figure out a way to compress the photos and upload them.

A 3mm suit is fine right now, in January I'm not sure, maybe take a hood as well and definitely gloves.

If you're not yet certified in Nitrox I'd do it now.

Regards,
Andy

Wetsuit depends on you. We were there in Sept, I wore a 5mm with 5mm booties and 3mm gloves. The wife who runs cold wore her 7mm. When we where there the weather was a little rougher and gloves were a big help. The Undersea Hunter crew and the diving is amazing.

Here is a slideshow from our trip. You will have to download the Photodex viewer but it’s free and they don’t spam you. It takes a while to load the slideshow since I have video of the whitetip night dive and some other stuff.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2694598&alb=0

Andy, nice! I'm booked for a trip to the Cocos this August! looking at your pics and reading all these reports, can't wait for those months to fly.

Shame about the Taiwanese long line fishing boats... Bad enough they've fished almost all the sharks out of Asia already...

GoProHonduras:
In just 7 days we encountered a pod of Orcas at the surface, were diving with Dolphins, Mantas, Mobula Rays, Marble Rays, Schooling Hammerheads, Galapagos sharks, Whitetip sharks, Black tip sharks, Turtles and thousands of Yellow fin tunas and jacks. Absolutely mind blowing, not just to witness such amazing life, but to see it behaving so naturally!!!
Did the crew seem to consider that an unusual number of big species to see? I go diving with a group of friends inthe first week of December each year. If the crew wasn't running around acting like this was the dive trip of a lifetime, I know someplace I want to consider for next year.

Were most of your group using rebreathers, or did you stay at depths available to open circuit divers?

look impressed diving trip, nice photos Andy.

Back
Top Bottom