Just Certified, intro-level setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's my plan, the dive shop is going to let me try out that used setup in the pool, so I can decide which style BCD I prefer.
Nice. That is exactly what I did as well and am thankful I did that, and it completely changed the direction I went with my setup.

Post an update in here once you try it out. I will be curious to hear what you think. The minimalist feel of a BP/W is just something you can't really explain to someone but is something you will immediately notice and feel.

Scuba pro Reg setup was pretty cheap for me. But looks like yr PNW aspirations will dictate yr choice. K

Update: Things went great! I really like this back-inflate setup. I'm having a bit of trouble with buoyancy in a horizontal position, but I think I just need to start using some of the dump valves instead of using the deflator button.

Update: Things went great! I really like this back-inflate setup. I'm having a bit of trouble with buoyancy in a horizontal position, but I think I just need to start using some of the dump valves instead of using the deflator button.
You really shouldn't have much air in your BCD at depth. Is there a chance you are overweighted?

You really shouldn't have much air in your BCD at depth. Is there a chance you are overweighted?

I was fine at depth, but during our slow ascent I had trouble releasing air out of my BCD while I was close to the bottom looking for wolf eels. Didn't have much success pointing my shoulder up and trying to vent air. I wish my OW classes talked about venting air with other methods, it just didn't occur to me that I could use the dump valves.

I think I'm actually a few pounds underweighted, I felt the initial descent was a little tough to start and I had to swim down a little during my safety stop so I wouldn't bob to the surface.

Renting was the only way I could find to try different stuff and make up my own mind.
Unfortunately rentals (like liveaboard rentals) don't have a wide assortment of gear to try - they typically get some mediocre equipment.
But renting quickly taught me what I really didn't like - wearing weight belts and jacket style BCDs. Never was on a liveaboard that offered weights integrated and back-inflated BCDs however.
Finally decided that carrying my own gear is worth being more comfortable underwater.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

New to diving. Finished my Open Water last fall, have a handful of dives under my belt in Long Island Sound NY.

Trying to get myself organized. I have a console with compass, computer and pressure. The high pressure hose is 24 inches. I seem to be struggling to get it positioned properly. I route it to my left hip D ring but the hose seems short for me to use the compass and I'm struggling to focus with my new Rx mask. Is this my inexperience or would you recommend a longer hose?

Thanks.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

New to diving. Finished my Open Water last fall, have a handful of dives under my belt in Long Island Sound NY.

Trying to get myself organized. I have a console with compass, computer and pressure. The high pressure hose is 24 inches. I seem to be struggling to get it positioned properly. I route it to my left hip D ring but the hose seems short for me to use the compass and I'm struggling to focus with my new Rx mask. Is this my inexperience or would you recommend a longer hose?

Thanks.
Christopher,
You might want to just start a new thread. But in answer to your question... It is up to what makes you comfortable. Most people I know with compasses on a console use a longer hose and a retractor (keeps it snug to the d ring, but lets the pull it up in front of them to use the compass as well). I prefer a wrist compass, myself, and clip my SPG to either hip or chest d ring depending on the type of guage (I have some old ones where the hose comes out the back, rather than off the bottom). I also use a wrist computer. If you want to try those configurations out, just buy or make a wrist boot for your computer and compass.
Hope this helps... But a lot of it comes down to try things until you find what's right for YOU.
Respectfully
James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom