Just curious, which hose do you necklace and which do you clip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWAMPY459

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering, for those who dive with one long hose and one short hose, which do you run to the necklace and which do you clip off?

I noticed on a video that Brian Kakuk hog loops the long hose and runs it to a necklace and just clips off the short hose when not in use.

I previously have been doing the opposite... hog looping the long hose and clipping it when not in use and had the short hose running to a necklace.

Which do you do? (and why if you have a reason)

I have no experience of SM diving as I'm only just transitioning to it from backmount twins. But I've opted to configure short hose necklaced off the left cylinder and long hose hog looped and breakaway clipped off the right cylinder. I've based this decision off of watching how some of the top level instructors do it and the fact that it's familiar to me from backmount too.

My (limited!) experience with sidemount is from the UK where typical configuration is to have both regs on short hoses and clipped to a necklace.
Why would one benefit from having a long hose? If a diver is OOG, we can just hand over one cylinder. Not to mention that by having an independent system, the chances of a diver losing both cylinders are already pretty small. So isn't a long hose more of an annoyance?

Short hose on the left, necklaced. Long hose on the right, clipped. I noticed Brian doing it differently too, and if I ever get to Abaco, I'll ask him about it.

As far as I know, since Brian has become a Razor instructor, he uses the "bogarthian" method of short necklace left side, long hose with clip right side.

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense for the short hose to be necklaced, because in most cases you're going to be handing off the long hose, and the short one being in a necklace would make it easy for you to find, and fast to stick in your mouth.

Just wondering, for those who dive with one long hose and one short hose, which do you run to the necklace and which do you clip off? . . . I noticed on a video that Brian Kakuk hog loops the long hose and runs it to a necklace and just clips off the short hose when not in use. . . . Which do you do? (and why if you have a reason)
I have seen the Brian K. video you reference, and was intrigued by his approach - not enough to change mine, but intrigued nonetheless. Like many SM divers who came from backmount doubles, I simply copied what was 'standard' for backmount: long hose (7' in my case) on the right side, shorter hose (34" in my case) coming off the left cylinder valve, hose running behind my head and around the right side, and placed in a bungee necklace so the second stage rests immediately below my chin.

There is no particular logic for using that approach in a situation where you are diving independent doubles (i.e. SM, except where you use something like the UTD manifold), other than it may simply be what you are used to. I have tried reversing - long hose on the left, short hose on the right - and I have tried long hose (5') on both cylinders, and ultimately reverted to what I was originally comfortable with, and what I still use for BM dives, doubles and BM singles.

There was some discussion of the hose lengths and placement in the earlier thread, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/si...gear-configuration-practices-4-questions.html, which you may already have seen.

Left-side: Short hose routed around neck into necklace.

Right-side: Long hose routed around neck, clipped.

I see no reason to deviate from proven back-mount hogathian practices. For those coming from a back-mount, technical background...or have previously dived hogarthian singles, this is a very intuitive configuration - and proves an easy transition.

The only logic for necklacing the long-hose is that it could (if pull-out style necklace) make air-sharing more intuitive for mixed-team divers. The long hose being retained in closer vicinity to the mouth, and no bolt-snap to hinder air-donation. That said, it also brings about some deviations that could throw off mixed-team divers....

Might want to take a side mount training class in which they teach basics like that. You might pick up a lot more that way than you might think.

I learned short hose necklaced and long hose clipped. My instructor told me that he and Brian had some serious arguments about it, and I thought Brian had changed to that configuration. I must be getting feeble minded, but I can't remember how he did it when we dived together a year and a half ago. I checked the few pictures I have of it, but you can't really see in any of them.

The one issue that you have to deal with is donating the long hose quickly when it is clipped off and you are breathing off the short hose. If you have the clip tied on securely, it can be too slow a process unless you are really good. My instructor advocated using small, flimsy zip ties so that the zip tie breaks easily when you yank the regulator to donate it. That's how I do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom