Just finished my PADI Cert - you have GOT to be kidding me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IF you call PADI and voice your concerns because you are really worried about it, they can request records and pursue further investigation and if not given up they can terminate their affiliation with that shop and take the issue to court to sue the shop. WARNING -if PADI finds things are dangerous and the instruction or check outs weren't done correctly, they can also revoke all c-cards issued by that shop (including yours) within the time period you took your class. You can do a lot of damage to the shop if you want.

I would suggest taking up your concerns with the shop before doing something that can have a larger affect than you intended. If it means THAT much to you, just don't go back. Take your cert and go somewhere else for future purchases. The best way to get someone's attention is through their wallet. The word of mouth can do damage to them also. If you tell someone and they tell someone, then eventually it will get to the shop and they will change to make sure they keep getting business.

Regardless what others say about the likeliness of PADI doing something like this, it can/does happen. Just ask and I can tell you who to talk to at PADI and thy will share what litigation they went through with my shop because my $h!tbag partner was doing the same things (other criminal activity as well). He used gear he got at yard sales, ebay, and other places to save money, along with other things to make the classes more profitable. I would love to post his name here, but not sure if I can (SB rules or something).

BTW - classes in my area (Dallas) are $299. In some shops you can find sales or discounts on classes and get them cheaper. For inflation references, in 1997 the prices were $89.

You're not alone. I live in Ft Lauderdale where there are dive shops everywhere and somehow got hooked up in a similar situation. Couldn't use my personal gear, paid too much for their basic gear, rental gear was crappy and the course was too expensive. The instructor hadn't taught a class in 15 years. Our OW cert dive was off a small boat in 4-5 foot seas. Out of 12 people on the boat, 9 got sick. We were given 7 mil wetsuits in April which are way too thick for our water temps. Told to gear up too early. By the time we got in the water, everyone was overheated. Consequently, 4 of us never got down on the first day. I am now a Master Scuba Diver and looking back at the warning signs, we should have never been out there. The dive should have been cancelled. Now, diving in 4-5 foot seas is no big deal but as a beginner, I almost gave up on diving altogether. New divers aren't trained to look for stress triggers and signs. Needless to say, I never went back to that shop. I found a different shop and have had nothing but positive experiences since.

i dont know if i would let them service my gear if they dont seem to service there own

i know it can be hard to bear but do you like the sport . did you always want to do it . did you hav time or the oppertunity to do it else where .

you paid the money ok its high but you hav got somthing that you will never forget . your first scuba experience .

the world is your oyster . go enjoy it .

I don't know how bad the leak was, so I can't really comment.

Yes I can I lied!!!!! But a leak is a leak and if a student was worried about it, then it should of been addressed and fixed. Diving is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and a new student doesn't need the distractions of equipment he doesn't feel good with.

You can't have your own gear? For insurance reasons? OMG. Your just kidding right? Please tell me your kidding please, please Tavi.

JASDO you knew what the price was so you can't harp on that its a mute point. But the money you paid far was to use equipment in good useable condition. It might of been but since you wasn't happy with it, it should of been chaged.

Sounds to me like you should have been charged more for your class as you were taught how to deal with a gear malfunction. Most students never get to learn this skill set. Now you know what is a real problem and what is normal for caribbean type rental gear.

Whine whine whine boo hooo hooo is this all that ever goes on here on the ScubaBoard??????

Next time anyone complains how much they are paying for gear/classes I want you to give me a great deal on what ever it is you do for a living.
Anyone know of a good cheep lawyer or DR. or maybe even a plumber?????

I had a smilular experience with my first attempt at OW I went with a different cert. agency and that LDS REALLY pushed us to buy their equipment from their shop which I didn't like, but they did highly recommended that we buy our own equipment and use it in the pool before we went to the ocean. We ended up not finishing our cert with that agency and switched to PADI where I took a private course. I thought the cost of the class was reasonable around $300.

One thing I did find that was a safety issue with me...the original cert. agency we chose I felt didn't teach me anything compaired to what I learned with PADI. I don't think it was necessarily the agency it's self, but the individual instruction.

instructors vary in their abbility just the same as any profession . its hard to bear but true .

when i done my Instructor exams we were told that our demos sould be more than perfect and that our own divin skills sould be likewise .

most of the learning curve is done through imitation of the instructor . so bad or weak instructor .................. and so it fallows

Just for comparison:

$500 will get you private instruction, all materials, gear rental in Little Cayman.

Which is a great place to learn to dive.

Wow, I feel lucky to live in Oklahoma now. May not be what some would consider to be great diving, bu realy can't beat the cost for instruction. I paid $150 for my OW cert in 1994 and that included the instruction, the pool, all gear except for mask snorkel and fins for the pool and all open water dives and the books. There were no additional expenses for the certification. I just paid $175 for my advance certification and that covered the instruction and the book. Of course no equipment was provided for the advance class and would have to be rented. I would not judge a shop on the price of instruction as much as the quality of the instructors and the quality of any equipment provided. I have als noticed some shops advertise a price, but do not tell you about additional costs unless you specifically ask. The dive shop I use is very professional, up front about everything and allow you to use anything in the shop in a try before you buy program. For that type of service I would be willing to pay a little more. You normally get what you pay for, but make sure you are getting what you pay for as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom