Just got a GH-1...so the journey begins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, as the price of the GH-1 has come down, I finally decided to buy one... next the case.. 10BAR....with a dome and a macro port... then a 7-14 mm zoom and the 45mm macro... I will be broke, but with some very nice gear....

Will update as the project goes along.. as I have to get a new tray, and arms and add my strobes to the mix.

Hi pf
I just bought the gh1. The 10 bar housing. Tray two sea and sea strobes and the big blue focus light. 4 dives now. Last dive just filming with no lights.
I have very little experience but with the good gear will learn and have already good results.
Housing is impressive.
Ben

Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it. Before buying the 45mm macro, you might want to read some reviews, etc. I have been tempted to get one but keep reading things that make me think that for underwater use, the 14-45 might be just about as good with a closeup lens, faster focusing and far less expensive.

I don't need a macro lens above the water. If I did that might change things.

Have you seen the Inon housing for that camera?

Also, of no importance to this thread, but apparently Zen has a adapter for the Pen housing that allows use of the Zen dSLR ports and the 8mm fisheye!

N

Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it. Before buying the 45mm macro, you might want to read some reviews, etc. I have been tempted to get one but keep reading things that make me think that for underwater use, the 14-45 might be just about as good with a closeup lens, faster focusing and far less expensive.

I don't need a macro lens above the water. If I did that might change things.

Gee, thanks for assuming I had not.

The 45mm macro has several things about it that reviewers don't like.. particularly the "focus by wire" system. The anti-shake does not work in macro (but this is true with almost all lens) I actually like the focus system and a bunch of things that make it ideal, like:

1 to 1 macro

The lens does not extend, so the port can be right next to the lens.

The front does not rotate.

It is the only lens I know of that the auto focus will work in macro.

It will also focus in video mode.... just a lot slower.

Making the lens not extend and not rotate means that there are a lot of moving parts, so suspect that effects the image quality a bit.. but at F5.6 - F 8, it is very good. The oly 50mm has better image quality than just about any macro lens, but it is huge, extends and only goes to 1 to 2....and you have to manual focus.

Closeup lens degrade image quality and really effect auto focus. As I shoot just about all my macro at around 90 mm equiv already, don't see any value in the standard zoom.

Have you seen the Inon housing for that camera?

Also, of no importance to this thread, but apparently Zen has a adapter for the Pen housing that allows use of the Zen dSLR ports and the 8mm fisheye!

N

Lovely housing, and stupid price...

With lens that are near the nylquist frequency with a 12 meg sensor, don't see what benefit one will get with a 16 meg one.

The release of that camera did cause a major drop in the price of the GH1.. I got mine for $1100, with the 14-140 lens (which is an $800 lens). Part of my reason for getting it was the approximately $300 body cost... which I can afford to replace.

However, it may be that the same case can be used for both... they are very close.

Gee, thanks for assuming I had not.

I am sorry to have offended you. Since you said you had just made the decision to buy the camera, I don't think it was out of line for me to assume you might not have spent much time looking into a specific lens.

I mean, It's not like I reminded you to be sure you put the camera in a housing before diving with it.

I was only trying to be helpful and to share a thought on the subject. I am glad you like the lens (I haven't even been able to find one for sale recently) and hope you enjoy the camera and housing.

I am sorry to have offended you. Since you said you had just made the decision to buy the camera, I don't think it was out of line for me to assume you might not have spent much time looking into a specific lens.

I mean, It's not like I reminded you to be sure you put the camera in a housing before diving with it.

I was only trying to be helpful and to share a thought on the subject. I am glad you like the lens (I haven't even been able to find one for sale recently) and hope you enjoy the camera and housing.

No big deal, I believe I know the specification and features of every current lens and camera made..but making the jump from Canon, where I own large bag of L lens, to Panasonic took a lot of careful thought.

I know of no company that makes camera's better suited for UW photography than Panasonic, and no company that pretty much ignores that sector of the market.

Back
Top Bottom