Just got back from Coz. It's still soaked.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Petra

Reaction score
The storms had finished by the time we arrived on Monday. But after 3 days of torrential downpour, it's going to take a while to dryout. Before we left Houston we were informed that the flight may have to divert to Cancun if the cloud cover was too heavy (no instrument landing at Coz at that point) or if the water had not receded from the runway.

We did make it into to Coz, but it sure felt like the pilot had to put it down hard and stand on the brakes. The pilot then had to shut off the engines and we waited for a tug to tow us to the terminal. Too much water on the taxi-way. They didn't want to suck the muck into the engine or blow more water back onto the runway.

We stayed at the Suites Bahia. It's exactly what people here said. Clean, comfortable, and cheap. Very convenient location. If I was going for a week long vacation, I'd probably stay at one of the resorts so I could have a place to hang out and stare at the ocean. But if I wanted to do a quick get away to fuel my nitrogen addiction, I'd definitely stay here again.

Dove with Aqua Safari. My wife and I dove with them on our first trip to Coz 3 years ago when we had just finished our O/W certifications. Strange coincidence. We had the exact same divemasters this time. And we had the exact same problems. My wife can't descend without strapping a VW bug to her and I suck air like a vacuum cleaner. The crew and DM's were the same as last time too....wonderful.

Our first dive was Palancar Caves. Saw a huge lobster hanging out under a ledge (where's the clarified butter when you need it). A sea turtle made a swift pass through the group and then headed for parts unknown. Only did 28 minutes at 83 ft on this dive. (See what I mean about sucking air.)

Second dive was Yucab. We dove this one last time we were in Coz and it's becoming my favorite. It's not deep. There are no caves, swim throughs, or other things that a lot of people find interesting. But it does have what I most enjoy and that is a LOT of marine life. There were fish everywhere. And most of them didn't seem to care if we hung out with them. I hadn't seen a Splendid Toadfish before. I saw 4 in a matter of a few minutes on this dive. I was able to relax and enjoy myself and didn't suck air too badly.

I know this storm was bad. A lot of people had problems at home. But you couldn't tell it from the way we were treated. Everywhere we went we were treated very graciously and people seemed happy that we were there. We asked about how they had made it through the bad weather. Many said they had several feet of water in their homes. But still, they were at work and ready to take care of the tourist.

I kind of felt bad about showing up to enjoy myself when the people who were taking care of me needed to take care of things at home. But, like they said, that's life. And if the tourist stopped coming then they wouldn't be able to earn money to fix what the rain had damaged.

It looked like the rain clouds were starting to move back in when we left. Hopefully, it won't be too much.

Mark

Thanks for the update, sounds like you still had fun. I will be there in less then 2 days and from what the radar says it appears as if the rain will hold back for a few days. We will see.

Great report, glad that you got to make it!

Sounds like the airport conditions are still...ummm...yuck, huh? Hope things get better quick.

One time when I was waiting on the luggage there (I know, no stories) a jet pulled out and blew out one of the pane glass windows with the engine blast. I just ducked, but a couple of ppl. in our party had glass in their hair and on their shirts. That was before they made the recent building-on to the airport.

I pitty the poor pilot that probably got trashed. Umm...he sure the hell should have!

Gee, remembering that is funny now. O.K., sorry.

Glad that ya got to see the whiskered toadfish. I didn't see any this time, but did see a lot of other stuff.

I hear ya about the drawn butter.

Coz. is addictive, ain't it?

The old heads will probably nail me for this post, like when they were there when there were not even U.S. built cars on the island.

sealskin98:
The old heads will probably nail me for this post, like when they were there when there were not even U.S. built cars on the island.

Aaaahhh yes I remember when.....couldn't drink the water either :eyebrow:

mark, thanks for the report. be there in 4 days.
it is amazing how quick those peaple pick up and go on.

Back
Top Bottom