Just got my rig :) First impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Souvy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm a wicked rookie diver (just shy of 60 dives) and decided to go with a backplate and wing set up after using a buddy's on a recent trip. After a lot of research on these posts, I decided to go with Deep Sea Supply. I got to speak with Tobin, which was great, and he guiding me through a rig set up. He also mentioned that I should call if I had any questions which I really appreciated as I could tell he was being very sincere and stands behind his gear.

I just got my new DSS SS backplate and Torus 26 and I just had to post. I also got a couple of set of the weight plates to go with it for diving up here. I've read a lot of posts touting the quality of DSS equipment and I've got to say they're all true. The backplate is really well crafted and the wing looks to be tough as nails.

I think that the DSS gear really shines through in the details and the thought that was put into the little things. The shorter inflator hose in the center of the wing is a great idea and the elastomer grommets on the backplate are nothing short of genius. I also like the idea of the flange on the low pressure inflator hose for making disconnect easier with gloves should the need arise underwater. The Torus wing looks like it has a really small profile and should be a real treat to dive with.

The backplate weights are another stroke of genius. It's just 3 bolts per plate and you can put them on and take them off without mucking around with the harness or having to deal with an STA. All you have to do is take the wing off first, which takes all of 10 seconds.

I was a bit daunted by rigging the harness, but setting it up was really straight forward with the directions (if I can do it, I would pretty much guarantee that anyone can). I imagine it'll take a few dives to fit it properly, but I think I was able to get it fairly close without too much difficulty. I can't wait to get it in the water this weekend. I'm sure I'll be posting again about that experience.

Tobin, thank you again, your reputation is extremely well deserved and I am very glad I went with DSS. Keep up the great work

750 dives later, and I love the DSS gear even more.

Thanks, Tobin!

Have fun Souvy... great choice.

~~~
Claudette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom