Just how 'real' should a rescue scenario be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few of us have a standing rule on local dives that anyone can simulate basic problems any time. Talking about a shallow freshwater practice lake here, 'cause that's all we really have. But anyone can simulate OOG, broken gear, tell you your PO2 is too high or you have to bailout or whatever. Even on non-training dives, or practicing other things, anyone can randomly initiate any drill at any time. It does seem to encourage better situational awareness and makes what are otherwise boring dives a bit more fun.

I know that isn't really super realistic, but it's a bit more real than during a rescue class, where you're basically 100% primed all the time.

My rescue Instructor had a theory that most rescues were performed near the end of a dive day when everyone was tired. He would have us run up and down steps several times in full gear, including weights before making a 100 meter swim, followed by actual rescue drills. It made for a couple of really long days.

I have also observed rescue classes with students so obese and out of shape that there is no way they could possibly save anyone, let alone themselves. They still passed the course.

As a medic i have been subject to lots of scenarios both real and for training. A very realistic scenario (makeup, acting, appropriate storyline) can bring things to a whole new level even if you know its just a drill. Ive seen classmates who can ace a test, but freeze up doing a realistic training that we knew wasn’t real. Surprising a student with an “im out of air” or similar level drill is good practice, but a much larger and elaborate situation seems to invite mistakes made in panic that could actually hurt someone (ie pulling them up from depth too fast).

On a side note, in the politest tone possible, did anyone check a pulse before you lined up to do compressions? Because you cant fake being pulseless and you dont give compressions to someone with a heartbeat.

i don't like to be the victim, because I want to see/hear and evaluate their planning process, so as to be able to give feedback.
i do like to introduce the unexpected, like finding two victims on the bottom instead of just one...it really screws with their planning.
i invite previous Rescue students to be the helpers for the class, as a no-cost refresher for them.
Realism? I go so far as to try and introduce surprises and twists....but nothing like the OP describes.

On a side note, in the politest tone possible, did anyone check a pulse before you lined up to do compressions? Because you cant fake being pulseless and you dont give compressions to someone with a heartbeat.

Not by current Red Cross CPR steps, re-certified a month ago. They took out the checking for pulse. Now its basically (summarized).
1. Determine unresponsiveness/Call 911
2. Open Airway
3. Check for breathing.
4. No breathing, begin compressions/rescue breath cycle.

I agree with Jim L. in that if the basic rescue skills are not part of an OW course (that's almost universal), the Rescue course should be the first one after OW, if not right after with no dives in between.
As for the OP's question--it is a very good one and one I've not seen on SB in my 12 years here.
I don't know if the scenarios should be "realistic" in that the students don't know if it's real or not. Yes, you could cause a heart attack. You also would find out how someone would behave in a real emergency.
That's the one negative about the Rescue Course if you want to call it a negative. I have no idea how I would react in a real emergency (hasn't happened in my 14 years diving) and probably never will. Especially since almost all my dives are solo. Who knows?

I agree with Jim L. in that if the basic rescue skills are not part of an OW course (that's almost universal), the Rescue course should be the first one after OW, if not right after with no dives in between.
As for the OP's question--it is a very good one and one I've not seen on SB in my 12 years here.
I don't know if the scenarios should be "realistic" in that the students don't know if it's real or not. Yes, you could cause a heart attack. You also would find out how someone would behave in a real emergency.
That's the one negative about the Rescue Course if you want to call it a negative. I have no idea how I would react in a real emergency (hasn't happened in my 14 years diving) and probably never will. Especially since almost all my dives are solo. Who knows?

to me, figuring out how you act is worth the potential risk of inducing a heart attack (or other ailments).........realistically, if you are going to have a heart attack in training.....youd have that same heart attack in a real scenario......and honestly, ide rather have that heart attack when im surrounded by people not having an emergency Vs. having that heart attack in open water dealing with someone else who is also in peril.

it like learning anything else....you take it slow at first, then slowly ramp up the stress, until you find the breaking point (in a safe controlled manner).

It was so long ago that I did Rescue I was thinking to do it again. I do a lot of solo diving but when I do have a buddy or buddies or other divers, I feel I owe them my best.

But, OP, exactly what did you learn from having the s----t scared out of you? I think you are wondering the same thing? I do not think I understand the value of this particular exercise. A commercial program is not going to be the same as a sport diving program but I see no advantage to scaring people.

The only thing gained, well, you and the other students did not panic, but with the instructor shoving the students out of the way, how does he or the students know how you really would have done in entirety.

James
Just to be clear, the scenario was so realistic exactly because the instructor stepped in. If he hadn't, subliminally we would have realised that something wasn't right. That said, he didn't expect us to stand back, but actively participate.

Regards what we learned; the simple fact that we didn't crumble under extreme, albeit perceived, stress. I've been in enough training exercises to hope I'd cope, but not actually know I would. I've also been in two real-life rescues, but neither involved an unconscious, unresponsive casualty, so different circumstances.

Not by current Red Cross CPR steps, re-certified a month ago. They took out the checking for pulse. Now its basically (summarized).
1. Determine unresponsiveness/Call 911
2. Open Airway
3. Check for breathing.
4. No breathing, begin compressions/rescue breath cycle.
Wow i had to look it up and see for myself... this explains why i go on so many runs that bystanders are doing cpr on a patient who has a strong pulse. Then later when the patient is awake (usually after giving narcan) they complain of severe chest pain and nausea...
My aha, pals, and acls courses still teach checking for a pulse, and id tend to agree with that. But i cant fault someone for following there training.

there is REAL value in knowing how YOU react in what you think is a real scenario....you could master all aspects of rescue training and be the best in a calm, collected "classroom environment" where you know everyone is actually OK...

..but if you clam up, panic, or start making mistakes when your adrenaline is pumping and you think someone is actually dying, what good is all that training?

good training should drill in all the basics into you so that it is second nature, so that when your brain does shut down, you can act instinctively.....and theres no way you can gauge the effectiventess of that training unless you scare the bejezzus out of people in training
Exactly this. After the exercise we were physically shaking with adrenaline. Later I found it difficult to recall events accurately and kept replaying things in my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom