Just in case anyone wants to dive backmount independent doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He did not point it out but the only reason he could monitor the pressure of both tanks was because he had a transmitter on right post with analog SPG on left post. Not a huge deal but I noticed.

I agree I would not dive this setup.

The very first doubles I ever dove I assembled from my then-still-new Sherwood Genesis HP 80's (3,500 psig) to fit on my orange Scubapro Stab Jacket.

I had purchased some used SS tank bands that were made for Al 80's to be worn on a plastic backpack, I think. The bands had polymer inserts that fit inside them (to protect Al tanks from electrolysis, or maybe simply to protect Al tanks from scratches). The bands also had some little convex SS pieces welded to them intended to mate with the molded-in curve of a plastic backpack.

This was in 1989, I think, and I had not too long before returned from being cavern and basic cave certified at Ginnie Springs FL.

Anyway, I mounted both tanks in the bands the "normal" way (i.e., with the air outlet facing forward, valve knobs toward the diver's right when worn), bolted them to my SSJ, and mounted my two Scubapro Mk 10 regulators on them. Voila! Independent doubles!

I briefly practiced turning the valves on and off in shallow open water when wearing my rig when I was dressed in my 1/4" farmer John. No problem.

And then I went for a short dive in Roubidoux Spring (MO), my first cave dive outside of my basic cave cert course.

So much fun!

Okay. So what does this have to do with the video linked in this thread? Well, I wonder: If you have SS tank bands, why not use them (instead of woven nylon tank straps)? And why do you need to turn one of the tanks "backward"? (I didn't have to do this.)

Caveat: For any new diver reading this, don't do what I did. That was from an era when divers had fun experimenting with gear configurations. This is no longer permitted.

rx7diver

Caveat: For any new diver reading this, don't do what I did. That was from an era when divers had fun experimenting with gear configurations. This is no longer permitted.

rx7diver
Depending on interpretation, I either agree or disagree.
  • New divers shouldn't experiment, as there are usually many reasons behind the standard equipment configurations, and there's likely little benefit with experiments compared to existing solutions. Experiments which may seem normal and safe to an inexperienced divers could have unexpected risks and complications.
  • I cannot agree with the idea that experimentation is no longer permitted for anyone. Experimentation is how innovation occurs & experimentation does continue to this day. Sidemount is a great example, where a lot of experimentation has occurred in recent history. Instead I would suggest (1) remaining within your competence and experience, (2) follow safety protocols and use redundancy around any failure-risks (3) there's no rush to try an idea and (4) most importantly ask questions, even embarrassing ones.
  • Stuff like we see in the video probably didn't do #4 in the previous bullet-point, as people would have pointed out a number of flaws in the system, or existing ways to achieve the same results in a safer way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom