Just like happy kids with new presents...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

havnmonkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I received my Ikelite housing for my G6 and could not wait to get it wet...

Unfortunately it was in late february, however I live in Daytona beach FL!!!!!! And a day of diving isn't too painful if you pick the right days.

My friends have also just purchased their first spearguns and were eager to get some use out of them. So a bunch of us hopped in my friends boat; three of us were diving and the other three were going to fish on the surface.

This was my first dive with the new housing and a camera I've only had for six months so that was a little hard to get used to; but the Ikelite housing is solid and well made so I felt confident with it. This was also my first dive off the coast of Florida-I've been to Coz, Costa Maya, and GC-so it was a little nerve racking when I realized the max visibility would be no more than 5-7 ft. Why bring my camera? Well I have not made a dive without one and that includes my open water cert! I'm starting to wonder what it would be like to dive without looking through an LCD screen...

I new it was a about 60-70 ft depth (by the way our first dive was in search of an anchor about 8 miles offshore) but when I hit 15 ft and everything kind of disappeared except for a gentle glow above me it was really freaky! At about 50 ft I was looking for the bottom but couldn't find it at all... it found me! I crash landed on the bottom like some kind of downed helicopter!

It took me a minute to gain my bearings and then I realized I was sitting on the ocean floor and there was nothing around, just flat sand for all the 7ft I could see. We were supposed to be on a bunch of old cement bridge pieces but couldn't see them at all... so we swam about 15 ft and nearly swam right into them.

I was so amazed at the wild life all around me; the fish, the formations on the culverts, and the critters were everywhere!!!! So my buddies went after some Sheepshead and I went after some pics.
Starfish_of_Daytona1.jpg
[/IMG]

Cement_Culverts-Daytona1.jpg

shrimpy.jpg

coral_culverts_2.jpg

Fishy1.jpg

Bannerfish.jpg

andy_spear.jpg

We made two dives that day: the first was eight miles offshore on a bunch of concrete rubble and the second was 22 miles offshore on a little 3-4ft ledge full of lobster and one very shy moray eel! The water temp bottomed out at 58 degrees and the depth hit 90 ft max. Visibility was crappy for the first dive and poor for the second.

So now I have a question: Do any of us dive without our cameras? And if we do why? Because those conditions were horrible for photography but I had to have it... I don't get it.

I tried to do a dive the other day without one after a strobe flood. I did the dive. I enjoyed the dive. I didn't spend my whole dive thinking about not having the camera. I did dive differently than I would have with a camera and had different experiences that are outside my "normal" experiences.

But I went home early and didn't do dive two :wink:

I'll often do a dive and only shoot a few frames, but I like to have her with me :D

And remember, it's NEVER too bad for macro :wink:

I don't always have my camera. Most notably with training dives during o/w classes, and when I'm practising in the local shore spot. Also when viz is completely crappy on wrecks (i.e. less than 10 ft). Otherwise, I'll generally have it when diving wrecks and almost always when down south in the tropics.

I may get shot but I enjoy a dive without my camera every now and then. I used to be like you and wouldn't dream of getting in the water without it but after a malfunction and going without it, I realized how much a really do miss.

It's also changed my dives with the camera. I no longer keep my eyes glued to that LCD screen or just my immediate surroundings and I don't don't near the number of shots that I used to.

I feel naked without my camera but can handle not taking many pictures too. I take the camera on as many dives as possible but may not use it a lot. I enjoy a good "exploration dive" as well as a "pick a patch of rocks and hover dive". The pictures I take are rarely more than glimpses of things that I see along the dive so I guess I'm sort of a hybrid diver/photographer. I will stop and spend a good while taking pics of something but rarely has that been a dive plan.

I was amazed any of them are as good as they are... I wish I could have gotten a pic of the moray but one of my buddies fins accidentally scared it into it's hole. I was so amazed to see all the color down there it really surprised me. I half expected a bunch of green and greys not the reds and yellows that I found!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom