just moved up to a G12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baystr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey peeps, just bought a G12 and Ikelite housing, with a dome port! I will be shooting with dual DS 51s, just wondered if anyone had any advice with this set up, I am a total beginner in the photog world. Settings? Tricks? Quirks with the camera? Any help is appreciated

Shoot in manual mode, auto white balance. The ikelite TTL will work great. There's some good tips in this article.

We have a Dyron 2-element 67mm macro lens and adapter for the housing that will allow you to get some incredible macro and supermacro photos for that housing.

FYI there is also a unique circular fisheye lens for the housing that will allow you to shoot 180 degree circular fisheye photos, regular fisheye photos, or macro photos with the same lens, as you zoom the camera.

I thought there wasn't any fisheye option for the G12 in the ikelite housing!

Whats this you speak of?
:D

The G12 is a great camera! All I can say is practice, practice, practice!

Shoot in manual mode, auto white balance. The ikelite TTL will work great. There's some good tips in this article.

We have a Dyron 2-element 67mm macro lens and adapter for the housing that will allow you to get some incredible macro and supermacro photos for that housing.

FYI there is also a unique circular fisheye lens for the housing that will allow you to shoot 180 degree circular fisheye photos, regular fisheye photos, or macro photos with the same lens, as you zoom the camera.

Are you able to shoot some pics with this set up as examples?

Just to clarify, I enjoy using the G12 in manual mode for wide-angle.

To get the benefits of Ikelite's excellent TTL functionality, you should shoot in Av mode, it will not work in M mode. Sorry for any confusion, quite a few of you emailed me on this!

Regarding the circular fisheye lens, it is the most unique lens in the world. You can do full-fisheye photos and 1:1 macro photos with this lens, and it is extremely sharp. The cost is $1,259. It is the only lens in the world with this capability to our knowledge.

we had it on display at the BTS show and it was a big hit. Here's the 8mm circular fisheye lens product page.

Here's a sample photo, but I'll get some more up soon.
g12-fisheye-photos.jpg

I would suggest that you shoot in RAW instead of JPEG. RAW allows you to adjust white balance in post processing. RAW also allows you to adjust highlights, shadows and exposure far more than JPEG.

Hey peeps, just bought a G12 and Ikelite housing, with a dome port! I will be shooting with dual DS 51s, just wondered if anyone had any advice with this set up, I am a total beginner in the photog world. Settings? Tricks? Quirks with the camera? Any help is appreciated

I've been shooting with the G-12 in Ikelite housing on my last two trips to Cozumel. On the first trip I only had one strobe, a D-161 and wasn't happy with the results. On this trip I added a second D-161, UltraLight 5 and 8 inch arms to replace the Ikelite arms (which are just about useless being metal to metal). I also added a Sola 600 Focus light that made a world of difference. I also added 4 Stix Jumbo floats to the 8 inch arms because the D-161's are so heavy. These also helped a lot but could even use a couple more but no room to add on the 5 inch arm.

I shot mostly in TV mode, varied the shutter speed and shot a lot in Macro mode. The Sola 600 focus light made a world of difference for still shots. The D-161's with the Sola lit up the floor like daylight for video (which I haven't processed yet).

I love the set up now.. almost perfect in my opinion for a small underwater set up.

Side Note on the port. I had two Dome ports and sent both back. They are a pain in the butt. One was loose and fell off just tipping the camera forward the other was so tight I thought it was going to break the housing port off (even with silicone grease added). No Dome port used in any of these shots. I would send it back if I were you and try it without. To be honest.I couldn't see any difference and saved $300.00. I did get the red filter for video though and it works pretty good when shooting without any lights in daylight.. none of these shots were taken using the red filter or dome port.

Here are some shots I got. The first one was so tiny (only about 1 inch wide) so you get an idea of the macro capabilities. Hope this helps.

Example shots G-12 - Ikelite housing

Unique? Hmmm... It looks like a Raynox DCR-CF187PRO Circular Fisheye lens housed in a sealed domed port. A very good lens for sure. And the smaller version appears to be a housed Raynox DCR-FE181, a slightly less wide and less expensive diagonal fisheye. I use the smaller one on land, it is amazing. Gives me an idea....

Back
Top Bottom