Just ordered new tanks - anything to note?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a result I've started buying more equipment from them as well vs online.

One of the main differentiators for any customer service business is how they treat their customers. Do it right and do it well and they thrive....treat your customers like they're an annoyance and the business will always struggle. Seems so simple but so many can't seem to do it. Guess because so much of how you treat your customers depends directly on how you treat others in general. Usually those who don't know how to be kind and cordial don't see it themselves or don't care.

You hit the nail on the head, she overexerts, uses her gas to adjust her buoyancy too much, IMO, and she is generally very over excited, videos of her under water reveal she breathes like a pissed off dragon
This isn't safe. Fast breathing is both an indicator of and contributor to incipient panic. It's also likely to result in CO2 buildup from insufficiently deep exhalation.

You (or an instructor) need to spend more time with her somewhere shallow and calm just hovering (or slowly swimming if she can't hover) and looking around and getting comfortable. I would tell her to concentrate on extending her exhales, for now count to 5 and eventually 10 while exhaling.

Those giant tanks aren't helping. They make it harder to control buoyancy since you have to fight their tendency to turn you turtle. Get her some HP100s.

This isn't safe. Fast breathing is both an indicator of and contributor to incipient panic. It's also likely to result in CO2 buildup from insufficiently deep exhalation.

You (or an instructor) need to spend more time with her somewhere shallow and calm just hovering (or slowly swimming if she can't hover) and looking around and getting comfortable. I would tell her to concentrate on extending her exhales, for now count to 5 and eventually 10 while exhaling.

Those giant tanks aren't helping. They make it harder to control buoyancy since you have to fight their tendency to turn you turtle. Get her some HP100s.

Slow down, first, she isn't panicking at all, it is generally her over excitement and, over exertion I in her technique, excessive BCD filling, not being trimmed, and somewhat overweightedness, all of which we've been slowly working on in a pool or lake locations, building her experience in the ocean comes when we have time to travel.

I'm sorry, did you just not check what you typed or are you insinuating some sort of insult towards the end of your second to last sentence of your post?

Slow down, first, she isn't panicking at all, it is generally her over excitement and, over exertion I in her technique, excessive BCD filling, not being trimmed, and somewhat overweightedness, all of which we've been slowly working on in a pool or lake locations, building her experience in the ocean comes when we have time to travel.

I'm sorry, did you just not check what you typed or are you insinuating some sort of insult towards the end of your second to last sentence of your post?

He means those tanks can roll you on your back like a turtle. He's not calling you a turtle. Also, turtles are rad.

And the CO2 buildup can be a risk whether it's from excitement or panick. Your lungs don't care what mood you're in.

Good on you guys for doing a lot of training and working on skills. I'm sure those big tanks will turn your future dives into very long, fun bottom times when now they feel like an effort just to keep up. That has been my experience with my big tanks.

And the CO2 buildup can be a risk whether it's from excitement or panick.

CO2 buildup happens when one breathes too shallow, whether using a lot of air or a little. As long as the diver is breathing deeply, CO2 should not be an issue even though they are using gas "like a pissed off dragon". I have done work underwater and use considerably more gas than with normal diving but avoid a CO2 hit by breathing deeply and also watching the amount of work and depth from previous experience.

If the diver had a CO2 hit, we would be discussing a bolt to the surface and/or headaches.

Not arguing against big tanks, as I do have a couple, but I would have picked 2 133's and 4 100's. As the diver gains experience, there will be less need for larger tanks.

CO2 buildup happens when one breathes too shallow, whether using a lot of air or a little. As long as the diver is breathing deeply, CO2 should not be an issue even though they are using gas "like a pissed off dragon".
True, but the danger of breathing shallowly (not fully exhaling) is much more likely when breathing fast.

This isn't a case of someone fighting a fast current or doing manual labor, it's a ballet dancer who burns through a 130 in 20 minutes at 50' (according to the OP). This is so far outside the realm of normal consumption that IMO it should be addressed directly, not just shrugged off with the usual "it'll get better."

it's a ballet dancer who burns through a 130 in 20 minutes at 50' (according to the OP).

And I'll bet, when dancing, that 130 cuft of air would be used up pretty fast as well. A ballet dancer is a highly trained athlete and knows how to breathe enough to make their body do things I don't even believe, but haven't learned how to breathe for scuba, yet.

It's good to mention the problem with shallow breathing and a CO2 hit, but I don't that is in play with this diver.

Fair enough. You have far more dive experience than I. My comments are based more on my lifeguarding experience where someone breathing that fast is a clear signal that something is not right.

But considering the comment earlier about those Nitrox stickers being able to trap water, couldn't the same be said about the inspection sticker?

they remove and replace the viz inspection sticker.

Six HP133s for relatively new divers (based on your upcoming AOW courses) seems over-the-top.

Might want to think twice about buying from that shop again. Many of us would’ve had a hard time letting you buy that many tanks that large had we been the LDS owner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom