Just signed up for my 1st dive class! Advice please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have fun... choose a paddle fin over any split fin. The simpler, the better. Then, choose your bootie before you choose your fin. Fit and comfort are the most important aspect of any fin purchase.

there are a lot of good fins a out there .the spring backs are nice no adjusting just slip on and go .i started with scuba pro jet fins a lot of kick but i hated the heel adjuster bought the hollis f2 very nice travel fin but not a lot of kick power for dry suit cold water so bought aqualung x shots .rear spring heel adjuster and lots of ooomf and light weight another inexpensive thin to buy under 10 bucks is a mask strap.it never twists and hair won t get caught up in it. spring straps and mask straps will make your diving a lot easier

Welcome to ScubaBoard Shelmidine.
I have the Seawing Nova fins and LOVE them. Hard to go wrong with them.

Let us know how your class goes.

In contrast, I dove the Novas one time and swore never again... Here's the thing. People will give you lots of advice about what to buy. Much of it comes down to personal preference. It doesn't matter what works for him or what works for me. What matters is what works for you. If at all possible, try before you buy. You'll save yourself lots of frustration and money in the long run.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Welcome!

I do not know anything about either fin other than what I just looked up. But you received some good advice above on booties before fins, the consideration of spring backs instead of fin straps, your personal preferences, and trying equipment first. One other thing to consider is the weight of your legs/feet in the water along with exposure protection (no protection, wetsuit thickness, or dry suit). If you are feet light, you may need a heavier fin. If you are feet heavy, you may want a lighter/more buoyant fin. Also, keeping it simple always works with dive gear - at least for me.

Good luck.

Welcome to scuba board! See if you can rent different types so you can try before you buy. Like shoes, some fins take a bit to get used to. I have a range of finds and really happy with my Scuba Pro Nova fins.

Is there a reason that you are drawn towards Scubapro?

Don't go too large on equipment at the beginning because you don't know what you don't know yet.

Buying mask, fins and snorkel should be OK, they're not really big ticket items and the advice above is good.

The second hand market is full of barely used gear from folks who bought it all then didn't dive! Which is very good for those that do...

Nothing has changed my diving more than Novas, from the ridiculously had to cut them down too stiff ones

full.jpg

the never ever to be used again ones, won't catch me draggin my fins through the dust and makin a big mess

to the nimble and quick normal ones that propel my ballet lithe 300lbs plus body with gear around effortlessly

full.jpg

1-2-3-2-2-3 stretch 1-2-3-2-2-3 twirl 1-2-3-2-2-3 spin Ugh, Oh, Crack, I think I've done my back, and front!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom