Just starting out in Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Allright m8s how are you all doing, Fine i hope. Am just starting out in Scuba Diving could any of you help me out with the basics, were can i learn to Scuba Dive, How much would it cost, what advice would you give to a beginner just starting out in Scuba Diving also how much would a diving suit cost. Any help or information recieved would be a great help thanks for your time and help it is very much appreciated.

Best and Kind Regards

Take Care all of you

Welcome to Scuba!!! I can't tell from your post where you're from.
so, I'll just give some basic info. I paid 400 to learn scuba last year. (in Minnesota) I don't know what you might pay elsewhere. That included rentals of any equiptment you might need. I wouldn't buy any equiptment yet, you don't know what you'll like untill you try it in the water, at depth.
I would look at some dive shops and see whats available. Here in MN, many of the dive shop employees are instructors and thats who I would talk to. The agency you go throgh is not nearly as important as a good instructor. A good one will be patient and can help you through just about anything. Some places even offer discover scuba courses. In my area there is no charge for these classes but, it would give you a chance to meat an instructor. I could go on forever but, I'll spare you.
Good Luck, I have a feeling you'll love it!!!

I paid $245.00 to learn to dive here in Souhern California. That included text, rental, and trips. There was also an additional 25% off because it was suba month. :)

I haven't bought any equipment yet. The rental is only $40.00 a day for everything you need, but I have priced stuff. Mostly wetsuits so far. I've seen them from $200.00 and up. (I have bought mask, fins, booties, gloves, snorkle, dive light, and knife.)

I certified through PADI.....the advance course was even cheaper....LOL....All the rental was free and the course was $31.00 after getting discounts. All that was left to pay for was the boat which was $65.00.

Make sure you find a dive shop that you are comfortable with, and most importantly, an instructor. All of the reputable agencies offer good curriculae, but the key is how you are taught. I learned a lot more than the books contain (and a bit about the differences between what they contain, what advanced divers may choose to do additionally and/or differently, and, most importantly, why) by working with an instructor who cared about what his (and her) students learned. I'd avoid any place that boasts about the number of students that pass -- I'd rather know that they won't pass a student that hasn't mastered the skills! (Yes, the better shops will accomodate those who require additional time and training.)

Number two on comfort is how you feel in the water. Many people fit well into rental suits. For me, I'm not "normal" in shape, so the couple of hundred dollars to get a well-fitting wetsuit was well worth it. I don't know where you live, but here in NorCal there are some reputable custom shops that for $300-400 will fit you like a glove if one of the major manufacturers' suits can't. I was lucky that it only took me a month of looking to find the off-the-rack suit that fits. Wet suits are typically marked up 100% from cost, and are generally not under the same MSRP-based discounting policies as are regulators, BCs, and instruments, so you might get a much better overall price from your LDS on a package. There are also mail-order sources, if you are so inclined.

Some locales rent mask and fins, but a good seal around your face (and corrective lenses, if you need them) is, IMHO, well worth the investment. Most of the rental fins are functional, but nowhere as efficient as the better of fins out there on the market today.

Talk with people you respect about equipment. Find out not only what they like (or dislike), but also what kind of diving they do and why they hold the opinions. Extreme case-in-point: "I wouldn't dive in anything but my (insert $3000 model here) drysuit with argon fill." They wreck dive (many potential abrasive or cutting surfaces) in 34 deg. water. You may know that you'll never dive in anything but open water over 70 deg. F. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to be said for a dry suit for cool or cold water, once you have the proper training and experience. Some people have a 3mm for tropical water and dive dry everywhere else.

One thing that I learned for other equipment-intensive activities (rock climbing, hang gliding, motorcycles) is that my gear needs changed with my experience. Would I buy, as an experienced enthusiast, what I bought as an intermediate? No. Would I use it and enjoy it, yes. Would I have wanted to gain experience with gear tailored for an advanced enthusiast? In many cases, no way! In any of these persuits, the quality of gear improved immensely in the few years that I was gaining experience. By the time I was ready for higher-performing gear, it was a lot better than what I would have bought a couple of years prior. Recreational scuba is being driven the same ways by the most advanced divers and their philosophies and practices; I expect the same advancement in the gear.

Remember that shops want to sell you what they have in the back, that is their job! (Though I have gret respect for a couple of salesmen who, when asked about a dive computer that they didn't carry said effectively, "Great computer, I'd dive with it. I can't sell you one that is markedly better.")

Other advice -- make sure that you are comfortable floating in the middle of the ocean. That doesn't mean that you have to be able to swim 10km, but knowing that you can keep your head out of the water for a long time without additional bouyancy is a good thing.

Finally -- don't feel it is a competition. Everyone learns at a different rate, and has trouble with different things. If you go at a comfortable pace, you actually get to see the scenery as go, rather than just some arbitrary destination. Enjoy the ride...

You'll be lucky if you only end up getting a suit!

So much fun... So many new toy possibilities...

Sigh... Pretty soon I'm going to need a new job!

Find a good instructor. Try and find one that dives on their own time (out of classes) and has a lot of experience. If you decide to get your own equipment this board is a great resource...

Have fun!

Okay, unlike many here I'm not an expert. Though I hope to be someday.

I did a bit of shopping around here in the Vancouver, WA area and found a good shop.

Because of my disability and my doctor's orders I'm taking my classes as one-on-one.

The shop I'm going to normally charges $325 to train a person for their OW certification. I'm paying $425 for the one-on-one time and will have to pay for boat time too when the day comes.

On the up side, the $425 I'm spending includes use of all the equipment I need for my OW classes, training material, log book, t-shirt (I love t-shirts) and one free day of equipment rentals after the classes. Also, while I'm a student I get a 15% discount on anything I buy from the dive shop.

I'm also going to be using a drysuit and will be training to use it as part of my OW class.

I hate being cold and with my disability once I'm cold, I have a hell of a time getting warm. So warm and dry is the way to go for me and that's why I'll be using a drysuit.

I've had a lot of positive feedback about my instructor and he seems genuinely interested in training me for my OW certification.

Some shops I checked on had OW classes for $225 or so but then charged for the training material, snorkel, fins, and other hardware. Some even have pool fees. Heck that really started adding up.

Shop around and don't be afraid to ask questions. I sure did. I really want to scuba dive but I realize the dangers involved and looked for an instructor I'm comfortable with at a price I could live with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom