• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Just went crazy buying new gear ($1400 Atomic BC1 BCD, TWO Atomic Cobalts, B2, M1, SS1..) STOP ME!!!

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by jerbee, Jul 7, 2019.

1. NAUI Wowie

NAUI Wowie Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    lol we are all the same brotha. Heck i started with a knighthawk bcd and immediately went to a hydros bcd. bought a cheap computer and right away went to a nice shearwater with A.I. that i LOVE.... its a sickness. But one that we can enjoy forever.

oh fyi if you ever take tech courses just automatically deduct about seven grand from your bank account to start it....my dealer i mean my diveshop told me that when i asked about it. I did the math and its totally true lol. Everyone says oh man my backplate wing is SOOOOO much cheaper than your high end bcd!!!

yea ok buddy. how much you spend to get full cave certified, full hogarthian cave gear ...double regs....yadda yadda yadda.... dude those cave dudes in their 150 dollar PBWs?..... dont believe it. its hellof expensive. just look up scooters that can handle deep caves..... trimix.....REBREATHERS... yea you can GET a BPW for 200 bucks but you wont get out of the swimming pool for less than thousands and thousands if you go full cave or deep trimix diving.

2. NAUI Wowie

NAUI Wowie Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I wear the same back inflate bcd both places. but if I am setting up a bpw in CA it will be steel because thats the smart thing to do. and that wont fly in P.I.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    edit to say that doesnt mean im right and you arent heck i know you got more scuba knowledge in your pinky finger than ive accumulated in a mere two years of diving. You probably have 40 years experience.

Totally respect your views.

3. Wah

Wah Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Wow. Just wow.

Scuba Cobra likes this.
  4. lexvil

lexvil Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    This may be funnier than the first.
    The hydros looks like a nice B/C and has some versatility but for $700 I can put together two separate rigs optimized for cold or warm travel and if some piece is damaged I can replace the one piece that is an issue. Travel with the hydros and you have the bulky 40lb flotation attached I can just bring the 18 lb that is more than enough for warm water and leave weight pouches and the bulk home.

The hydros looks nice and if it were $400 I would probably buy one.

5. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

I think a salesman at your LDS may have misinformed you just a bit. My steel backplate works perfectly in the Philippines, Cozumel and any other warm water place. I wear the same steel backplate and wing in British Columbia. I don't have to remove nor adjust anything on the plate or harness.

6. MichaelMc

MichaelMc Divemaster Candidate

@NAUI Wowie, Many of your points do not make sense.

- A BP/W has its inflation on the back. Its components are separable as opposed to all or mostly sewn together in an integrated (back inflate) BC.
    - The Outlaw integrated back inflate BC can interchange between a 12 or 25 lb, Aqualung, bladder.
    - BP/W come in all-there packages. DGX has several < $700 not on sale.
    - 15' long hose is not a thing. Unless for lobster hunting.
    - How is an aluminum plate BP/W not as 'flexible [in configuration] or travel friendly'?
    - If you want no change tropics to NorCal just add lead, like your Hydros.
    - I wore the same Al plate in NorCal and Hawaii, it would work fine in PI. I've worn a steel plate plus a weight belt in Belize.
    - Yes, you can spend $$$$ on tech gear. But BP/W is not tech gear, its just a simple adaptable BC system. How did the cost of REBREATHERS, scooters, cave, and tri-mix training get involved here?

I have no tech training, yet I've used a BP/W for several years since I got back into diving. An all-sewn-together BC made no sense.

7. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

Actually, Nor Cal kind of diving environment is the most appropriate with Bp/w. Give it a try when you get a chance

8. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    :popcorn:
    Yeah I’ll do that...
    Are you new here?

Oh man

9. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb HARRO HUNNAYYY

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I came in here just to let you guys know that I've pulled up a chair and have :popcorn:.

rhwestfall likes this.
  10. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Someone please relabel this thread: “The blind leading the blind”.

rhwestfall, jerbee and randpchi like this.