Just went crazy buying new gear ($1400 Atomic BC1 BCD, TWO Atomic Cobalts, B2, M1, SS1..) STOP ME!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’re right about that - I suppose I should have realized that posting on here about gear would result in people bringing up stuff I never even thought about a few weeks ago... View attachment 528786

lol we are all the same brotha. Heck i started with a knighthawk bcd and immediately went to a hydros bcd. bought a cheap computer and right away went to a nice shearwater with A.I. that i LOVE.... its a sickness. But one that we can enjoy forever.

oh fyi if you ever take tech courses just automatically deduct about seven grand from your bank account to start it....my dealer i mean my diveshop told me that when i asked about it. I did the math and its totally true lol. Everyone says oh man my backplate wing is SOOOOO much cheaper than your high end bcd!!!

yea ok buddy. how much you spend to get full cave certified, full hogarthian cave gear ...double regs....yadda yadda yadda.... dude those cave dudes in their 150 dollar PBWs?..... dont believe it. its hellof expensive. just look up scooters that can handle deep caves..... trimix.....REBREATHERS... yea you can GET a BPW for 200 bucks but you wont get out of the swimming pool for less than thousands and thousands if you go full cave or deep trimix diving.

I wear the same backplate/wing in California as I do in the Philippines. I even use the same weightbelt, just fewer weights in the Philippines. I have no need to dismantle gear if I want to dive different places.

I wear the same back inflate bcd both places. but if I am setting up a bpw in CA it will be steel because thats the smart thing to do. and that wont fly in P.I.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
edit to say that doesnt mean im right and you arent heck i know you got more scuba knowledge in your pinky finger than ive accumulated in a mere two years of diving. You probably have 40 years experience.

Totally respect your views.

Wow. Just wow.

A BPW is NOT a back inflate BCD. back inflate bcds come with an attached NON INTERCHANGEABLE wing. BPW can change from a 20 to a 40 to whatever. I get what you are saying but lets not go calling a truck a car just because they both have an engine.

the hydros bcd can change the weight system and gets rid of the pouches. it has a tropical setup with webbing and with the crotch strap its basically very similar to a backplate and wing. Aaaand thats all included. people flip out and say hydros is so expensive well it has two completely different systems included and it also includes the backpack which all of us hydros owners love , and you can buy it for under 700 dollars american.

BPW is can we say "hard core"? basically if you go that far you should go hogarthian, DIR , they all have little nuances but you might as well do it all the way if you are gonna do it and I aint going full necklace for the second and 15 foot long main hose.

I like my A.I. too much.

I get it. I LIKE BPW ....but im damn glad I did not get one as a new diver. It wouldnt fit my needs. I do coldwater ...relatively ....in northern CA in monterey. It aint ice diving but it also isnt diving in P.I. and mexico i do every year where water is 85 degrees.

my point was a bpw wouldnt have been as flexible or travel friendly as my hydros. I run that with the standard weight pouches in CA, and in philippines I take that whole harness off and putt on the tropical webbing as I only need about 4 pounds of weight 2 each in small trim pouches on the webbing.

long story short again I AM buying a BPW eventually but ill never call it a back inflate bcd

edit to let you know that i know i can go from a steel plate to aluminum to plastic but thats a headache for every trip.
This may be funnier than the first.
The hydros looks like a nice B/C and has some versatility but for $700 I can put together two separate rigs optimized for cold or warm travel and if some piece is damaged I can replace the one piece that is an issue. Travel with the hydros and you have the bulky 40lb flotation attached I can just bring the 18 lb that is more than enough for warm water and leave weight pouches and the bulk home.

The hydros looks nice and if it were $400 I would probably buy one.

I wear the same back inflate bcd both places. but if I am setting up a bpw in CA it will be steel because thats the smart thing to do. and that wont fly in P.I.
I think a salesman at your LDS may have misinformed you just a bit. My steel backplate works perfectly in the Philippines, Cozumel and any other warm water place. I wear the same steel backplate and wing in British Columbia. I don't have to remove nor adjust anything on the plate or harness.

@NAUI Wowie, Many of your points do not make sense.

- A BP/W has its inflation on the back. Its components are separable as opposed to all or mostly sewn together in an integrated (back inflate) BC.
- The Outlaw integrated back inflate BC can interchange between a 12 or 25 lb, Aqualung, bladder.
- BP/W come in all-there packages. DGX has several < $700 not on sale.
- 15' long hose is not a thing. Unless for lobster hunting.
- How is an aluminum plate BP/W not as 'flexible [in configuration] or travel friendly'?
- If you want no change tropics to NorCal just add lead, like your Hydros.
- I wore the same Al plate in NorCal and Hawaii, it would work fine in PI. I've worn a steel plate plus a weight belt in Belize.
- Yes, you can spend $$$$ on tech gear. But BP/W is not tech gear, its just a simple adaptable BC system. How did the cost of REBREATHERS, scooters, cave, and tri-mix training get involved here?

I have no tech training, yet I've used a BP/W for several years since I got back into diving. An all-sewn-together BC made no sense.

A BPW is NOT a back inflate BCD. back inflate bcds come with an attached NON INTERCHANGEABLE wing. BPW can change from a 20 to a 40 to whatever. I get what you are saying but lets not go calling a truck a car just because they both have an engine.

the hydros bcd can change the weight system and gets rid of the pouches. it has a tropical setup with webbing and with the crotch strap its basically very similar to a backplate and wing. Aaaand thats all included. people flip out and say hydros is so expensive well it has two completely different systems included and it also includes the backpack which all of us hydros owners love , and you can buy it for under 700 dollars american.

BPW is can we say "hard core"? basically if you go that far you should go hogarthian, DIR , they all have little nuances but you might as well do it all the way if you are gonna do it and I aint going full necklace for the second and 15 foot long main hose.

I like my A.I. too much.

I get it. I LIKE BPW ....but im damn glad I did not get one as a new diver. It wouldnt fit my needs. I do coldwater ...relatively ....in northern CA in monterey. It aint ice diving but it also isnt diving in P.I. and mexico i do every year where water is 85 degrees.

my point was a bpw wouldnt have been as flexible or travel friendly as my hydros. I run that with the standard weight pouches in CA, and in philippines I take that whole harness off and putt on the tropical webbing as I only need about 4 pounds of weight 2 each in small trim pouches on the webbing.

long story short again I AM buying a BPW eventually but ill never call it a back inflate bcd

edit to let you know that i know i can go from a steel plate to aluminum to plastic but thats a headache for every trip.

Actually, Nor Cal kind of diving environment is the most appropriate with Bp/w. Give it a try when you get a chance

Back
Top Bottom