Just when you thought you were alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Out of curiousity I would like to know if anyone who thought they were diving solo were surprised when you found you were not.

This has happened to me twice. Both times it they snuck up to me from behind or when I wasn't looking in that direction and it was quite startling.

Never happened to me. If it did, I would most probably try to ditch the jerk. If that didn't work I would abort. No way I am staying in the water with a diver with unknown skill, no discussion of dive plan, unknown equipment, etc. who just sneaks up on me and expects what???

Does a nice size Barracuda over my shoulder and into my peripheral count? or a sea lion who gave me a fish? or a penguin who pecked my reg?

I have been jumped from behind by an out of air diver from another dive boat while I was hanging far back of our group doing photography. Maybe that counts.

i was diving with a group and they all went off to the port side of the wreck to see a manta ray and a 500lb jew fish -- so i decided to go the other way and low and behold about 15 ft away from me was a 13ft bull shark. she circled me about 3 times and went about her merry way. ever since then i have been in love with sharks - best day of my life.

i just settled on the bottom of the ocean floor and watched her. it was amazing. (now when it come to barracuda -- they scare the crap out of me)

I had a freediver roll up beside me from behind and ask what time it was. Understandable though, parking is bitch at this location [LBTS]
I had a Black Tip do the same in about 10' of viz. Prefer the freediver scenario.

So I am walking down the street and a stranger sneaks up behind me and pokes me. Or I am watching a movie and somebody behind me pokes me. Sounds like an immature jerk feeling a need to try and get attention. Sad.

As to the original question was on top of a shallow wreck and saw an OW student come floating up without class. Got her to stop and took her down to anchor to reunite with her class when they came back to go up.

SteveC, pretty sure the freediver knows bubbleblower in this video. I don't think he would be handing over gun to some random ahole in the ocean.

Referring also to the first half of the video. But you are correct it depends if you know the other diver. However, DD posted an earlier video of this type, at BHB if I recall, and the impression was the pesterer did not know the divers but I could be wrong..

Referring also to the first half of the video. But you are correct it depends if you know the other diver. However, DD posted an earlier video of this type, at BHB if I recall, and the impression was the pesterer did not know the divers but I could be wrong..

The video shows two interactions with the same guy, during one dive.. the first when he was swimming along over the reef that was at 80 feet deep or so and the other was later, on his ascent at 20 ft or something.

Your recollection of a BHB video is mistaken. There is no video of me bothering any person at the BHB.

However, I do have a propensity to see humor in sneaking up on my friends and poking or tickling them while they dive. It usually works best when they are solo. It's not like they are driving 85 mph on the turnpike.. LOL

I can probably dig up a few other videos that include these types of incidents. For the most part, scuba divers really have TERRIBLE situational awareness, especially for what is above them. If you freedive around them, this observation becomes very evident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom