Just when you thought you were alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, but I don't think 100' underwater is the place to F***ing around with people. Especially people you don't know. You have no idea what there current state of mind is, and what might set them off, or freak them out.

So you think that's ok with your buddies? Well, some other diver see you (our your cute video) ...thinks it's funny and pulls that crap with some random person who freaks out and gets hurt. Ever have a case of mistaken ID on the surface? I had a woman rub up next to me in a jewelry store, and grab my left cheek before realizing I was not her dude. (off topic, I guess.) .... this kind of 'grab ass' has no place in an arena where we are supposed to be putting safety first!

Sorry, but pull that around me and you might get more than the finger.

LOL.. it is only people I know and i can't snorkel to 100 ft..

I remember about 25 years ago, i was diving without a buddy on a shipwreck in about 165 ft which was deeper than I normally dove at the time... and I speared a grouper and was wrestling it a little out on the sand all alone and away from the wreck. I was a little nervous because I never dove the wreck before, and for some reason, a friend thought it a perfect time to grab me and shake me from the back or side. We had about 6 or 8 divers down but everyone was separated and doing their own thing.

I knew it was a diver that grabbed me and my thoughts were going 1000 mph and I remember thinking as I spun around "this is going to be really bad" - assuming some diver had a catastrophic failure or something... and there was my buddy laughing and flipping me the double bird because I had shot a nice fish.. laughing his ass off and apparently narced as hell.

If a scuba spearfisherman can't deal with a poke or tickle or something like that.. there is no way in hell they are qualified to be spearfishing when sharks come blasting out of nowhere.. seriously..

...If a scuba spearfisherman can't deal with a poke or tickle or something like that.. there is no way in hell they are qualified to be spearfishing when sharks come blasting out of nowhere.. seriously..

I don't buy into your premise that operating in an unpredictable, potentially dangerous situation (ie spearfishing) is somehow more galvanized by having a tolerance for ******** games. In fact.. I would want to minimize the random BS so that I could concentrate on what I was doing and not get dead.

Narked out at 165' ... Strike 1...

Diving with people who will play jokes on you... Strike 2...

ANY emergency or gear failure could likely be STRIKE 3 for you my friend...

Sorry if this is an abrasive point of view. I'm really not trying to be a jerk.. There are just divers here of all experience levels. I think a certain level of maturity should be encouraged in a sport where people die semi regularly.

If a scuba spearfisherman can't deal with a poke or tickle or something like that.. there is no way in hell they are qualified to be spearfishing when sharks come blasting out of nowhere.. seriously..

If they accidentally fire that thing, that's gonna cause a lot of trouble.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't think 100' underwater is the place to F***ing around with people. Especially people you don't know. You have no idea what there current state of mind is, and what might set them off, or freak them out.

So you think that's ok with your buddies? Well, some other diver see you (our your cute video) ...thinks it's funny and pulls that crap with some random person who freaks out and gets hurt. Ever have a case of mistaken ID on the surface? I had a woman rub up next to me in a jewelry store, and grab my left cheek before realizing I was not her dude. (off topic, I guess.) .... this kind of 'grab ass' has no place in an arena where we are supposed to be putting safety first!

Sorry, but pull that around me and you might get more than the finger.

++1 - Some freediver did that to me he might get a surprise. I can stay down safely a LOT longer than they can. Maybe I'd give them a great big long hug for being such a jerk.

++1 - Some freediver did that to me he might get a surprise. I can stay down safely a LOT longer than they can. Maybe I'd give them a great big long hug for being such a jerk.

Now we are getting silly, but a smart freediver in the midst of a bear hug, might just hammer away at that little inflator button.. and freedivers can ascend LOT faster than a scuba diver can. :poke:

This conversation is getting about as silly as one we had a few years back about using a dive knife to fend off a panicked diver ... :maniac:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This conversation is getting about as silly as one we had a few years back about using a dive knife to fend off a panicked diver ... :maniac:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I got a story about an altercation involving a freediver, a scuba guy and a knife, but nobody would believe me and I am not sure about the statute of limitations.

I still have the knife though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom