JVC GR-D90U Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xSandman3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It seems as though my Mini-DV JVC GR-D90U is already a dinosaur (1.5 years old), and no one makes a housing for it anymore. Anyone have a clue where I might find either the JVC housing or the Ikelite for this camera? I have searched extensively, and so far, no luck.

Thanks!

xSandman3:
It seems as though my Mini-DV JVC GR-D90U is already a dinosaur (1.5 years old), and no one makes a housing for it anymore. Anyone have a clue where I might find either the JVC housing or the Ikelite for this camera? I have searched extensively, and so far, no luck.

Thanks!
If you're looking for an Ikelite, i.e. mechanical controls, how about a Equinox Pro-Pak 6? They have one for your camera model:

http://www.underwatervideohousings.com/finder.vml?locator=435&useraction=showcamera

Steve

Hehe. With that thought, I have advised more than one fellow diver to consider purchasing more than one camera. If you have a housing that fits only one camera and the camera dies, you could spend mucho time finding a replacment. Especially if it's one that hasn't been made for a couple of years.

xSandman3:
Thanks...that's just what I was looking for! Now I just have to justify to the wife why I need to spend more than twice as much on the housing as I did the camera...
It's because you miss her while you're diving and want to capture and share every moment of the experience with her.

Let me know if this line of b.s. works...

sjspeck:
It's because you miss her while you're diving and want to capture and share every moment of the experience with her.

LOL...unfortunately for this situation, she dives with me...but then again, we are saving important moments together on video...that might work!

sjspeck:

Actually, my wife says she doesn't need to scuba dive because she gets to see everything watching my videos.

howard4113:
On this sub-forum there is a sticky thread with a list of housing manufacturers. Listed there is JVC which has a custom housing for your camera:

http://www.jvcservice.com/store/ProductDetail.asp?part=WR-DV89U

Mark
Thanks, but it's the wrong one. The DVM is a different camera than mine. JVC used to make one for mine, but it has been discontinued.

xSandman3:

Thanks!

If you don't want to spend 2X what you paid for the camera for a housing you could get a simple "seal and go" tube style housing for around $300. Assuming that you will domultiple dives at the same (or close) location and yu will edit your tape the end result, the edited show will look aboout the same. The sealed tune housing is not specific to your camera.

If the camer has a LANC interface (but I think only Sony and Canon do?) then you could buy a generic electronic housing like the Topdawg that can control any camera that will physically fit inside.

In your case it might be cheaper to buy a new camera and Ikilite housing then a housing for the existing camera. I think a lot of people shop "backwards". For UW work I think you should select a housing first then a camera. Like for example the Sony HC1000 is great but I've yet to find a housing that allows setting the HC1000's white balance. I'm hunting for a used VX1000 system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom