K01 VS J2 OR XEROTHERM FE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I'd like to know your opinion between the k01 base layer in merino and the j2 OR XEROTHERM FROM 4ELEMENTS as a base layer.

Which would you recommend if you were a super chilly person. Thanks for your help.

I dive in water at 4-5 degrees => 40F to 44F

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know your opinion between the k01 base layer in merino and the j2 OR XEROTHERM FROM 4ELEMENTS as a base layer.

Which would you recommend if you were a super chilly person. Thanks for your help.

I dive in water at 4-5 degrees => 40F to 44F
I find my Xerotherm noticably warmer than my thickest merino base layer (icebreaker 260). For 5 degrees C and assuming no heated undergarments I would layer a xerotherm, an xcore vest (also from FE) and a warm undergarment like the FE Halo (I personally use a NoGravity SeaLion).

I find my Xerotherm noticably warmer than my thickest merino base layer (icebreaker 260). For 5 degrees C and assuming no heated undergarments I would layer a xerotherm, an xcore vest (also from FE) and a warm undergarment like the FE Halo (I personally use a NoGravity SeaLion).
Thank you for your answer 💯

The J2 has practically zero insulation. That isn't the job of your base layer. It supposed to be breathable and wick away sweat, the J2 is great for that. If you need insulation, wear that over your J2. The Xeotherm isn't going to be enough for those dives either, at least not enough for me. I would suggest the J2 and a Halo onesie.

The J2 has practically zero insulation. That isn't the job of your base layer. It supposed to be breathable and wick away sweat, the J2 is great for that. If you need insulation, wear that over your J2. The Xeotherm isn't going to be enough for those dives either, at least not enough for me. I would suggest the J2 and a Halo onesie.
Thank you for your answer and your time 💯

I'll jump on this thread. I recently did my first dives with my new Scubaforce Arctic X9. Baselayer was a thin sports baselayer for pants and a warm ski undergarment for top. Temperature was 14°C. I was ok on the first dive (45min) but cold on the second. So I will need more layers for winter. Looking at Kallweit V Warm, FE Xerotherm or FE X-Core vest. Can someone compare those in terms of warmth and additional lead needed?
For reference, in warmer water 23°C I use a fleeced running tight (I expect that to be similar to Xerotherm in terms of warmth) and FE Arctic top and feel perfectly comfortable on 60min dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom